News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Large gouge

Started by jsbowman, January 29, 2010, 03:17:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jsbowman

I have a shop smith gouge (I think it's made by Buck), it's about 1 1/16" wide and about 1/2".  It's always been ground in a finger nail shape.  I've tried to fit it into the SVD-185 but it will only go in about an inch or 2.  How do I grind the gouge with the same profile?  Is there something that fits to the SVD-185?  It's my understanding that the SVS-50 will blunt the end of the gouge, is that correct?

Jeff Farris

Do you still have the black ring on the SVD-185?  I haven't tried that gouge personally, but it might fit if you remove the black ring from the clamping pad.  There are only a couple gouges in the world where the black ring is helpful.  I'd be hard pressed to find the one for my personal jig today.  :D

If that doesn't work, try the SVS-50.  On that flute shape, it may maintain the profile OK.
Jeff Farris

jsbowman

Yes the black piece is still on the clamping pad.  However, I have an update.  As I said the gouge was use a little to big.  So I ran the sides on my high speed grinder and it did not change anything but put some sliver stripes down the sides.  That did the trick and it fits and is now ground.  I love that gouge jig!  It makes sharpening a gouge brain less.  Now onward to learn how to do a round nose scraper.....that's been an adventure so far.  Then I'm going for the #51 Stanley spoke shave.  Any advise on either of these would be helpful.

Ern

Try the platform freehand for the scraper JSB, or if you have a steady hand, just the rod support.

Opinions vary but I wld advise you to lap any burr off the top of the scraper before the first sharpening.  A dry grinder will have left a rough saw-tooth edge.

Re the shave, again the platform.

In both cases, get the platform as close to the wheel as you can.

Let us know how you go.
Cheers,  Ern