News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Sharpening plane irons

Started by bulerias1981, December 18, 2008, 05:25:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bulerias1981

I'm trying to sharpen one of my plane irons again and getting odd results.

Even after truing the stone following the proceedure from the video and book and/or dressing the stone, the right edge of the stone about 4mm is the only area that seems to cut well and quickly. Making an uniniform cut. The rest of the stone doesn't seem to eat enough material. I'm not sure if its higher at the edge 4mm or so, or the ceramic there is more abrasive so it cuts more. Either way I did true the stone paralell to the universal support bar and checked it by lowering the bar and saw that the light was even shining through. Please, some advice here.

Jeff Farris

True it again, taking a slightly deeper cut.
Jeff Farris

bulerias1981

The slightly deeper cut worked. I did it before receiving your message. I'm not sure if I understand why, but its cutter better. Also much more coarse and cuts quicker. I wish it could be like that all the time.

My plane iron is almost perfectly straight and square. Thank you!