News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

grit thoughts

Started by Ken S, September 14, 2024, 06:20:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

Much praise has been posted about the benefits of superabrasive wheels, both diamond and CBN. The diameters do not decrease with wear and they never need truing. While these are indeed formidable advantages, the praise chorus often overlooks a notable constraint. These marvelous wheels are single grit. Standard advice given to new users is often to purchase three diamond wheels or four or more CBN wheels. We are starting to see conflicting advice given to new users who want to purchase only one wheel due to budgetary constraints. Purchasing a set of superabrasive wheels can easily double the investment in a T8. What to do?

Our late very innovative member, Wootz (Vadim of Knife Grinders), did the preliminary work on a solution. Tragically, his death cut short the development of his ideas. One of his most promising ideas was the use of diamond plates for grading the SG and SB grinding wheels. While still not universally known or accepted, we now know that the concept of using the stone grader to change the grit from 220 to 1000 (only) was an oversimplification. For years, the concept of "600 grit" has been gradually entering the conversation. "600 grit" is a grit somewhere between 220 and 1000, a medium grit somewhere between 220 and 1000, as opposed to an exact number.

Wootz also introduced the idea that using a 1000 grit diamond plate to grade the SG could produce a grit similar to 1500 grit.  Wootz also introduced using the 80 grit diamond plate to set the SB wheel to coarse without having some grains standing proud. Wootz left us some interesting ares to further develop.

I do not mean to minimize the importance of the stone grader. For the many years when the SG was the only available grinding wheel, the stone grader provided a way for the Super Grind (SG wheel) to also grind like the finer (smoother finish) discontinued natural sandstone grinding wheel.

My question for my fellow forum members is have we explored the limits of the grading potential of the SG and SB wheels? If, as Wootz said, a 1000 grit diamond plate will produce 1500 grit with the SG, will a 2000 grit plate produce an even finer grit? Or, is a 1000 grit the maximum for making the SG finer? What about varying grits with the SB or intermediate grits with either the SG or SB?

I recently ordered half a dozen diamond plates in various grits from 80 to 2000 from Amazon. At around $10 US each, they were not expensive. Three or four would provide the average Tormek home user with plenty of versatility at a fraction of the cost of a set of superabrasive wheels.

I welcome your thoughts.

Ken

RichColvin

Ken,

I am eagerly awaiting your testing results!

Rich
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

Ken S

Rich,

Thinking about how to do these tests, I plan to use my dozen identical 3/4" Irwin Blue Chip chisels. The chisel bevels are much larger and easily to see than knife bevels. For closer inspection, I can use my machinist's loupe. I can use masking tape on the handles to identify which chisel is which grit. As I already have these chisels, no extra cost will be involved.

My gut feeling is that trying to use half a dozen different grits may prove cumbersome. One or possibly two middle grits may prove useful.

I presently have an unusual amount of family commitments, so results may take a while to complete. In the meantime, I welcome comments and test results from other members.

Ken

RickKrung

What is the question you are attempting to answer, specifically a clear, concise hypothesis statement?  How will you use these diamond plates and how will you distinguish differences?  How many times will you repeat the tests, that is number of replications? How will you eliminate untested variables?  What about adequate separation of trials to be sure a difference, if real, can be discerned. 

I sure don't expect a rigorous statistical approach, but you need to have some clearly defined objectives and procedures, particularly with so many variables (number of grits). 
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

RichColvin

I think it would be great to have side-by-side comparison photos.  I believe that you have a microscope with a photo capability.  I can imagine comparing the photos of (for example):

• Chisel ground on an SG grindstone graded using a (600 grit?) diamond plate vs
  • Same chisel ground on a DF grinding wheel.  

If you want to do the tests and send me the pictures of the various grinds, I'll put everything together for you. 
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.