News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Gouge angle sharping

Started by Rogm1017, December 25, 2023, 02:15:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rogm1017

Hello all, new to the forum and to turning. I have been turning pens for a years but have now started to turn bowls. I have never been able to sharpen my tools very well using my grinding wheel and my one way system. Seemed to ruin some gouges in the process. So i invested in the tormek and i love it which brings me to my problem. I can have a nice 55 degree angle on my gouge but when i put it on the tormek to sharpen it comes out with a double bevel. I made sure that my settings were correct... P=65 js=4 hole=A. Any reason why it doesn't maintain the 55 degree bevel?

Ken S

Welcome to the forum, Roger.

I am a longtime sharpener, although only a beginning turner. For many years, I have considered the linked turner's box video Tormek's most outstanding video. The box combined two of Tormek's best people. Torgny Jansson, inventor of the Tormek, wrote the included turning handbook. Jeff Farris, a veteran turner and Tormek instructor, poduced the video. The video includes sections about sharpening and using the standard turning tools.

Another reason I recommend purchasing this information box is that I don't know how much longer it will be included in the Tormek lineup. It predates DVDs. The Tormek used is a T2000, ancient by todays's standards (but still very usable). The techniques shown are just as at home with a T8. I consider this a must have item for Tormek turners. Here is the link:

https://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/Tormek-Turners-Instruction-Box-P364.aspx

Ken

cbwx34

Quote from: Rogm1017 on December 25, 2023, 02:15:19 AMHello all, new to the forum and to turning. I have been turning pens for a years but have now started to turn bowls. I have never been able to sharpen my tools very well using my grinding wheel and my one way system. Seemed to ruin some gouges in the process. So i invested in the tormek and i love it which brings me to my problem. I can have a nice 55 degree angle on my gouge but when i put it on the tormek to sharpen it comes out with a double bevel. I made sure that my settings were correct... P=65 js=4 hole=A. Any reason why it doesn't maintain the 55 degree bevel?

Tormek has a Sharpening Class YouTube video that might help...  Woodturning Tools

I don't sharpen them, but often with knives, the stated angle isn't always the actual angle, so maybe they didn't start out at 55°?  Also, depending on how they were originally sharpened, they may need to be modified slightly to "adapt" to the Tormek.  (See this alot on knives too.)  Once set up, resharpening/touchups, should go quickly.
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

RichColvin

Roger,

I'm having trouble visualizing what you are describing.  Please post some pictures so we can assist you.

Kind regards,
Rich
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.