News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

How do I true the side of the grinding stone?

Started by woodchuck61, February 04, 2008, 11:33:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodchuck61

??? After considerable use flatening the backs of plane blades and chisels, the side of my grinding stone is no longer flat. I'm having an impossible time flattening the backs of other chisels or plane blades. How can I true the side of the stone again? My stone has tons of life left in it!

I'd like to use the truing tool that I already have, but Tormek doesn't have a support bar that wraps around the side of the stone to facilitate its use. Do I have to go to a machine shop and have something manufactured? I'm afraid the cost will be prohibitive.

:(

Jeff Farris

Which truing tool do you have?  If you have the older model ADV-50D, you can drill a hole through the handle from top to bottom (perpendicular to the current hole) back toward the end away from the cutting tip.  Slide that onto the Universal Support and then slide the stop on so that the end of the stop prevents the handle of the cutter from backing away from the stone.  Carefully position the cutter and the stone so that the tip will engage the side of the stone.  Start the machine and swing the cutter in an arc.  Move slowly to keep a consistent finish.  Dress the surface with the stone grader once it is flat.
Jeff Farris