News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Plastic sleeve spacer for T-8 stone missing

Started by steveegge, August 31, 2022, 09:52:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steveegge

Not realizing how important the T-8 stone shaft spacer was I discarded it upon unpacking.
Now I realize it is necessary to maintain the space if you want to remove the stone to free up long knife room on the honing wheel. Any thoughts on how to get a replacement?

Thanks
Steve

cbwx34

Quote from: steveegge on August 31, 2022, 09:52:56 PM
Not realizing how important the T-8 stone shaft spacer was I discarded it upon unpacking.
Now I realize it is necessary to maintain the space if you want to remove the stone to free up long knife room on the honing wheel. Any thoughts on how to get a replacement?

Thanks
Steve

I think using a piece of PVC pipe is the most common fix, for example:

Using the leather wheel without grindstone
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Ken S

In my humble opinion, Tormek should sell replacement spacers as spare parts. (To the best of my knowledge, they don't; however you might email support
( support@tormek.se)

I have made spacers from plastic pipe. Wood also works, as does 3D printing. Here is a link to the Mercedes of spacers. They are wonderful. (I have three of them.)

https://schleifjunkies.de/en/product/spacer-for-drive-shaft-from-alex/

Ken

3D Anvil

Just noticed on that Schleif Junkies page: "Since you should always remove the grinding wheel after grinding...."

Is this true?  I didn't see anything in the manual about always removing the grinding wheel after use.

RichColvin

My experience is that removing the grindstone or grinding wheel is not important.  However, removing it from the water is critical!
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

Ken S

I agree with Rich that removing the grinding wheel from the water is critical. However, I usually remove my grinding wheel after use. Although I do not feel this is necessary, the EZYlock makes it quick and easy. I have easy access to more of the housing to keep things clean and dry. Also, if I have to move my Tormek, removing the grinding wheel cuts the weight in half.

Ken