News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

An Intro

Started by rbahr, March 03, 2022, 07:22:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rbahr

Hi All,

I JUST picked up a new-to-me Tormek. It is marked as a SuperGrind 200o, but came in a SuperGrind 2006 box. This thing is in like-new condition. No rust or damage anywhere, and came with the box

It came with a number of options:

SG-250 - stone with pretty much the entire stone there
SVX-150 - Scissors jig
SVM-100 - Long knife jig
SVD-110 - Tool Rest
SVS-32 - Short tool Jig
ADV-50D - diamond trueing tool
SP-650 - Stone Grader
SVH-60 - plane / Chisel jig
Book, VHS tape, Paste, and cover

I have looked at the forum a bit, and want to do any maintenance or improvements necessary. It looks like the main shaft is stainless, I am uncertain about the motor isolation - I understand that it was ultimately upgraded for the T7. I don't know if the support is the 'micro-adjustable' version yet, need to find pictures

I have to say that even used this system is not cheap. This pile O stuff cost me $300 and a used #7 plane!

Have yet to look, but I was wondering if there is something that supports skew plane blades?

My woodworking is generally cabinetmaking, so planes and chisels are the big care-about. Some of the plane blades are tool steel so I was wondering if this stone will work well. Are there any 'essential' jigs that I should look at. Is the newer plane / chisel jig worth getting given that I seem to have the older version?

Thanks

Ray

cbwx34

Quote from: rbahr on March 03, 2022, 07:22:10 PM
Hi All,

I have looked at the forum a bit, and want to do any maintenance or improvements necessary. It looks like the main shaft is stainless, I am uncertain about the motor isolation - I understand that it was ultimately upgraded for the T7. I don't know if the support is the 'micro-adjustable' version yet, need to find pictures

Are there any 'essential' jigs that I should look at. Is the newer plane / chisel jig worth getting given that I seem to have the older version?

Thanks

Ray

Tormek recently came out with an "upgrade video... might be worth looking at:   https://youtu.be/2JOWFdEGCFY

You might also bookmark Advanced Machinery's website... they sell individual parts should you need any:  https://advanced-machinery.myshopify.com/pages/replacement-parts-for-t-7-and-2000-all-10-systems

Only thing I noticed on your list.. the ADV-50D Truing tool is an old model.  It works but the newer version works better.  (Actually ran across an old thread on it...  https://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=3065.0 ).

I attached a picture of the micro adjust.

(I'm sure others will answer your other questions). :)

p.s.  If you register your machine on the Tormek website... even though there's no warranty, you can download the latest manual.
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

rbahr

Thanks,

I will order the newer 'fence', and review the other stuff!

Ray

TireguyfromMA

And welcome to the forum!

rbahr

Thanks,

TireguyfromMA - I am up in the Lowell / Chelmsford area - assumption that you are also from MA!

I watched the upgrade video, read the hard-cover book, not much to do with this except to start using it!

Is this microfence thing just a dial with marks scribed, I have not measured the screw pitch, but it should easy enough to just mark it up.

It also looks like my shopping list should include a new water tray along with a new truing tool.

Ray

RichColvin

Ray,

I have that same machine.  I can say that you should upgrade the shaft to the new one.  Your's is not SS; and the new nut is significantly better and easer to use when swapping grindstones.

The micro adjust USB is nice, but that can be gotten later if you wish.

If the drive wheel is cracked (mine was over time), you can replace it with the newer metal one.

I also advise getting rid of the ADV-50.  The TT-50 is a BIG upgrade to get the newer replacement.

Take a look at the SE-77.  It is great for cambering of blades (it or the SE-76 replaced the SVH-60).  But don't toss the SVH-60:  it is great to use when the chisel blades get short.

Good luck.

Rich
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

John_B

Welcome to the forum and happy sharpening.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

rbahr

Thanks Rich and everyone else.

I pulled the ADV-50 out of the box, and it was one of the few attachments that was actually used, and it was used incorrectly. There were 3 very small diamonds embedded in the copper (?), but the guy I bought it from wanted to clean up the wheel, and must have used it incorrectly and ground away a good bit of copper and I think lost one of the diamonds as well.

So, I will order the se-77 and the tt-50 to start with.

I was just playing with the Tormek and I was using a high quality (AKA hard) plane blade and it was still a bit of work and patience!

Ray

GeoBoy

You can buy just the diamond for the TT-50 and install the stainless steel drive shaft.

Ken S

You can also buy the TT-50U (upgrade version). Tormek started this for users who already had the older version and did not need to purchase the diamond. Do not confuse the two versions.

Ken

TireguyfromMA

Hey rbahr,

I'm down in Gloucester...

rbahr

Thanks Ken

The diamond point I have was destroyed, so I need to either buy a new tip or get the tt-50.

TireguyfromMA, looks like you are due east from me

Ray

cbwx34

Quote from: rbahr on March 05, 2022, 04:40:57 AM
The diamond point I have was destroyed, so I need to either buy a new tip or get the tt-50.

The better choice would be the TT-50.  But the tips are designed to "wear away" and expose new diamond...

Quote from: https://www.tormek.com/media/1911676/hb-10-en-v104-tt-50.pdfThe cutting tip consists of diamond grains embedded in a cylinder of copper. The grains are
positioned irregularly like "raisins in a cake". During use, the soft copper will be worn and the
diamond grains will stick out as peaks on the copper surface. Worn grains will after a period
of time be replaced by new ones. This design gives a long life to the tip

... this is from the manual, so you might have enough tip left to still be good? 

I know mine doesn't have a lot of diamond in it on the tip currently, but it works.
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

rbahr

Oh well,

WRT the diamond tip, time to RTFM!   ::) Thanks

Ray

Ken S

Quote from: rbahr on March 04, 2022, 04:06:23 AM
Thanks,

TireguyfromMA - I am up in the Lowell / Chelmsford area - assumption that you are also from MA!

Ray,
Sargent Daniel Keyes, one of my ancestors, was from Chelmsford. Hefought for the colonists at Bunker Hill. I found a document listing the heights of all the men in his company. He was 5'10", as am I. Not everyone was shorter back then.

Ken