News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Edge-leading stropping on CW-220 Composite Honing Wheel

Started by Naf, January 11, 2022, 03:38:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Naf

OK, I've been dying ask this... maybe another dumb question from a newbie...

Has anyone other than me intentionally purchase CW-220 composite honing wheel in order do edge-leading stropping, start with that instead of the old "tried and true" wheel, and stuck with edge-leading on the composite wheel  exclusively for their entire Tormek experience so far? 

Naf

Woke up from too short nap and for some reason, had immediate first waking thought I need stop saying "old tried and true", as I have never meant anything at all by it (or anything else, for that matter) ; rather, it simply been much easier way for me reference the LA-220 Leather Honing Wheel. With Rich's list now so close by, there simply no valid excuse for me call it this any longer.  They just so long tap into phone, that all.

tgbto

Hi!

Wrt to edge-leading stropping, I would not dare try that. there's a 100% chance that the edge will bite into the soft material of the wheel, as you will be honing at an angle equal to or greater than the grinding angle. And that's a recipe for disaster.

Cheers,

Nick.

John_B

I also would be reluctant to try stropping this way. I cannot imagine and benefit over the standard guided stropping method I employ. Dexterity issues would also be a concern if the edge grabbed the wheel. It could be dangerous as you are dealing with a sharpened knife at this point.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease