News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

One Day with the T-8

Started by thisguysharpens, August 20, 2020, 01:05:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thisguysharpens

Well I promised updates, so why not start with a day 1 update?

Bought a T-8 in the Vancouver, Canada area from Ultimate Tools and got free shipping--I am so happy with their help and professionalism. Incredibly good guys working there--I will be buying everything there from now on. (Although a few gentlemen here recommended Big Bear, I had a very distasteful experience and wouldn't recommend them at all.)

I've watched hours and hours of YouTube videos on the T-8 and felt comfortable getting right into it.

The first knife was a bit tricky getting used to, so the bevel rides a bit higher up the knife on some areas--required a half hour. (30 degrees)

The second knife turned out amazingly well in 5 minutes! (30 degrees)

For the third knife, I wanted to try a 24 degree bevel, but I chose a knife that required a lot of metal removal. That one took me probably 45 minutes to get done, but darn, she is so sharp. I'm shocked at how sharp a total newbie could make these knives.

Here would be my recommendation to anyone who is sharpening in their home as a newbie--get the rubber mat and swivel base. I've already placed the order with Ultimate Tools, and will be getting that stuff in a couple days. There was so much water all over my counter, and the mat is a no-brainer for me. The swivel base is clearly quite important too, and I'm kinda surprised it isn't a stock part included with the T-8 original.

I'll finish the rest of my knives when I get my new parts, and I'll share my thoughts then.

As always, if anyone has any thoughts or tips to share, I'm all ears.

Thanks again guys
Happy sharpening

Ken S

I am pleased that you are so happy with your new Tormek. I agree with you about the rubber mat and rotating base. I have used both for years, and recommend both.

I am puzzled by the reposts of excessive water spillage. (You are not the first person to report this.) I do not doubt the reports; I have just never experienced the problem personally or seen it at woodworking shows.

Ken

jeffs55

In my experience the excessive water spillage is caused by sharpening against the turning wheel. The water is cascaded over the knife edge and down the length of the blade. The flow is dependent on which way you rare tilting the blade. You know how you lift the blade to sharpen the tip and hold it flat as you grind the edge. If you sharpen with the wheel coming from behind the edge of the knife the water mess is a lot less. The blade basically deflects the water back onto the wheel instead of onto the blade. The water does not flow onto the blade and therefore does not run down the blade.
You can use less of more but you cannot make more of less.

Paul.J

I'm glad you are loving your T8 but i am having the same problem on my older Supergrind with water spillage which was right in the middle of the grinder when i reground some chisels last week, i quickly mopped it up before it ran over the edge, but didn't notice it at all until i stopped and thought i'd finished.
The water level was to the mark but thought i had put too much in??

John_B

One thing that can cause excessive spillage is having the water reservoir adjusted too high. Try lowering it and use the water line as a guide for keeping it at the proper level.
It should only need to go to the higher positions when the wheel is very worn.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

RickKrung

I've accepted the water spillage as just part of the process.  I don't know about the Tormek rubber mat, probably great, just more than I cared to spend.  I use an old classic fiberglass cafeteria tray that I robbed from my daughter.  The only time I really care about capturing the spillage is when using the ACC water with the diamond wheels.  I stop every now and then and lift everything off the tray and pour the tray back into the water trough.  Otherwise, the tray is just to contain the spillage and I just add more water when needed. 

If anyone is interested, just do a web search on "cafeteria tray" and lots of sources come up. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

thisguysharpens

Quote from: john.jcb on August 20, 2020, 02:15:32 PM
One thing that can cause excessive spillage is having the water reservoir adjusted too high. Try lowering it and use the water line as a guide for keeping it at the proper level.
It should only need to go to the higher positions when the wheel is very worn.

I'll be trying this! Thank you for the idea

RichColvin

I use a rubber dish drying mat. 

https://www.target.com/p/oxo-silicone-dish-drying-mat-gray-large/-/A-13291919

I like that the ribs in this one keep the machine out of the water.

Kind regards,
Rich
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

Ken S

I wanted to expand my knowledge of the water spillage issue. I consulted a friend who is one of Tormek's top knife sharpening experts. This is his reply:

"For 48 years we have been using water and 99,9% of our users manage to do it with minimal water spillage.
Of course, that's what I think because I don't hear this much. I think some users use too much water, but also dirty water and a clogged stone will bring more water over the stone.
The stone don't need to be soak in water up to the water limit.
I think this comes with experience too and I have no better answer for it sadly."

He knows Tormek much better than I ever will. Based on his reply and my own limited experience, I suggest:

With traditional grinding wheels which absorb water (SG, SB, SJ), turn on your motor and let the grinding wheel turn as you pour in water. Stop adding water when it starts to run over the top. Let the wheel keep turning. Soon the water will be absorbed and stop flowing over the top. Add more water, only until it starts to flow over the top again. Eventually (in a short amount of time) the grinding wheel will stop absorbing. Your water trough is now ready to use. I do not pay any attention to a fill line.

Diamond (and CBN) wheels are non absorbant. I measured how much water plus solution was necessary. I found that 125ml of water and 5ml of ACC was the ideal amount for the T8 water trough. It is enough without being more than enough.

Use a rotating base to prevent spillage during rotation and a turkey baster to prevent spillage during emptying the trough.

Dump and clean your water trough before it gets too dirty. This includes directly after using the TT-50 truing tool.

Use a Tormek Rubber Work Mat or a cafeteria tray.

If all of these measures do not work, post again.

Ken

kenlip

Rick,  would you mind explaining a bit about what appears to be a laser mounted on the USB?

Thanks
(Newbie) Ken
Relative newbie
SA-250 that is about 35 years old
About to upgrade to a T-8

RickKrung

Quote from: kenlip on December 07, 2021, 11:03:57 AM
Rick,  would you mind explaining a bit about what appears to be a laser mounted on the USB?

Thanks
(Newbie) Ken

The laser provides a visual reference of where the apex of the knife will ride on the grindstone for the bevel angle for which the machine is set up, useful for attempting to maintain the bevel angle as the knife is drawn across the wheel(s).  It is most useful for the curved sections, particularly when free-hand sharpening (which I do not do but have the laser set up for all knives).  It consists of a laser module that projects a line rather than a spot.  I got mine from Amazon, do a search on laser line module".  Some are battery powered and some are AC-wall wart powered.  I had to to some wire soldering to connect mine to a power supply. 

Doing a search here on the forum for the same term "laser line module" yielded the greatest on topic results.

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

kenlip

Thanks, Rick.

The laser looks looks like a great idea.  Now that I know what to search for I'll definitely investigate it further.

Cheers
Ken
Relative newbie
SA-250 that is about 35 years old
About to upgrade to a T-8