News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

online video class thoughts

Started by Ken S, May 06, 2020, 03:17:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

I have been very pleased with Tormek's new online classes. Over the years, I have become a convert to the benefits of video learning. Among the benefits of video compared to traditional classrooms is the ability to view several times, thus deepening understanding. Another benefit is cost effectiveness. I am not privy to facts and figures, however, I can not imagine making an instructional video being anywhere the cost of transportation, hotel, meals, and salary of sending a crew to a show. A show could easily give brief exposure to perhaps a thousand potential customers. Who knows how many customers and users can benefit from a well done video.

I think of these videos like a baseball strategy of hitting lots of reliable singles and a few doubles instead of trying to make a few home runs. Lots of suggestions to fine tune technique and correct bad habits. An example of this is using the stone grader placed parallel to the grinding wheel instead of perpendicular. This makes the wear on the stone grader more even and helps to keep the grinding wheel true.

I hope this will help spark discussion about the many "singles" learned from the online video classes.

Ken

Ken S

The online classes are planned to be conducted in four lamguages, English, German, French, and Swedish. I agree with Jan that it is always better to here things in one's native language. I expect each of the presentations to have minor variations, in large part due to the question and answer portions. While presenting a challenge, this also provides an opportunity for our forum structure.

We have multilingual forum members. Most of the class content will be essentially identical. If each of our multilingual members would focus on one or two of the differences and post a summary of these bite size portions, we could all benefit from all of the programs. It would help to include the time on the class video. That way, members not fluent in that language could read both the summary translation and watch the pertinent part of the video. When we include forum discussion, we will have a powerful set of learning tools.

Ken

Tool Junkie

Quote from: Ken S on May 06, 2020, 03:17:23 AM
An example of this is using the stone grader placed parallel to the grinding wheel instead of perpendicular. This makes the wear on the stone grader more even and helps to keep the grinding wheel true.

Ken

Ken,
I found it interesting to note that they showed placing the stone grader in this position in the 1st video class, but when I checked the video series, the old one showed holding it at a right angle to the wheel. It seems that techniques have been changed or improved, just like their jigs have.

Ken S

Good point, ToolJunkie. I agree.However, not everyone seems to have gotten the message or just prefers the crosswise method. I don't think there is a wrong method; just that the parallel stone grader method seems more logical.

Yes, I do believe that the techniques, like the jigs, have evolved over the years. I am pleased to see this evolving technique becoming global. I hope these new videos are just the first of many and that Tormek has realized the cost effectiveness of home grown videos.

Ken

John_B

I think the presentations are improving with each one. This last one had a great flow and it was fun to watch them do each type of knife. Having everything prestaged helps with the flow as they are not interrupted by going to the drawer for a jig. A lot of information was packed into an hour.

I was especially pleased to see how they tackled the hook knife at the end.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

Ken S

John, I agree. The classes do seem to be getting better.
Ken

Tool Junkie

For those of you that don't know, there is another class in the morning. 6:30 Pacific Coast Time zone. Gardening tools?

John_B

8:30 here in the Midwest.

I am up at 5 so time for the dogs, coffee and the news before class.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

Ken S

9:30 here in the Eastern Frontier of the Midwest (Ohio).

As an insomniac, being up at 4:30 gives me time for coffee and watching the economy collapse three times with the you tube experts before the class......

Ken

Segovia123

Where can I find the online classes?

Are they available?

Regards

J

RichColvin

---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.