News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Trueing T4 stone

Started by guyos, November 09, 2019, 10:02:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guyos

hello
I have had a problem trueing my T4 stone.
I use the TT50 tool and follow all the instructions, I also make sure everything is locked tight.
I start across the stone and all goes well until I reach the middle, then juddering start and the tool digs deep into the stone making deep marks. This was happening on many occcasions, and so I blamed the TT50, and went and bought the newer version of the tool thinking all would be well.
On the first use the same thing happened leaving me with a badly scored stone.  After rechecking that verything was right  I hit upon the idea that while the tool was travelling across the stone, I placed a finger underneath the tip of the tool rest supportung it , and that seems to work.
ON close scrutiny I find that where the tool rest enters the body, there is a slight play, so that the vibrations shifts it from its position even with all screws fully secure, I can hold on to the end of it  and rock it slightly back and forth,  this was enough to change the diamond setting and let it bite into the stone. Has anyone else  had this prolem?
guyos

Ken S

Hello, Guy.

You give a very good description of the problem. The one detail I do not see is the depth of cut you used with your truing tool.

Ken

guyos

Hi Ken
when I set the truing tool I first make a slight touch on the highest part of the stone while turning it by hand, then I advance one digit on the dial, and press down then tighten the knobs. When I switch on it seems to work well until it reaches the middle, then it chatters and dig in. As I said supporting the bar with my finger seeems to help.
guyos

Ken S

Hi, Guy.

Based on your last reply, try your first pass with the diamond cluster just touching the highest spot. Do not advance the microadjust one number. This should make your first pass contact only the highest spots on your wheel. For your second pass, advance the microadjust no more than one third of a number on the dial. Rotate the traversing screw slowly. Continue with very light passes until your diamond first touches the entire wheel and stop.

This method may seem painfully slow to you. It is the way I true my grinding wheels and has never failed me. If you are still having difficulty even with this low pressure technique, I would suggest that you contact support (support@tormek.se).

I actually enjoy observing and feeling the wheel gradually becoming true. I can use deeper cuts when in a hurry; I just prefer to enjoy shallower cuts. Over the years, I have been caught flat footed by an untrue wheel. This even happened once while I was demonstrating the Tormek at a busy woodworking show. Ever since then, I true lightly and often. Having a true wheel will eliminate one potential source of sharpening difficulties.

Try truing with very light cuts. If you are still having difficulty, contact support and keep posting. Mastering the truing process is an essential Tormek skill.

Ken

guyos

Hi Ken

Thanks for your suggestion which seems to be the answer, I was setting my depth of cut too soon and too deep.

I will give your way a try and see how I get on. It seems to make a lot of sense. Thanks again

guyos

Ken S

Hi, Guy.

I hope  that will solve the problem. Please post again whether or not that is the solution. Others will have the same problem and learn from your experience (That's how we all learn.  :) 

Ken