News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Drive wheel wobble

Started by mstelts, January 21, 2020, 04:06:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mstelts

Has anyone had a drive wheel that wobbles side to side and replaced it? I wonder if it's worth the cash or not.

Background:
I bought a 2000 and accessories on a whim at an auction. In hindsight, what a great buy... I love its speed - much faster than running through up to 4 grits on DMT diamond plates. Also, the concave surface, makes touch up on those plates go much faster.

Anyway, the motor was bouncing and both the stone and the leather wheels were wobbling side to side. Without much investigation, I decided to upgrade the shaft, because it came with new bushings and everybody loves it anyway. After installing this and seeing no change, I started to look for the real problem, since it wasn't the bushing.

The motor was bouncing, so I trued the drive wheel with sandpaper to eliminate that related problem. However, the wobble persists, because the drive wheel wobbles (didn't think to measure how much). Since this is connected directly to the leather wheel, it seems there's no way to fix that. I played with shims for about an hour and gave up. Also, this wobble (for a reason that doesn't seem to make sense) is mimicked on the stone. I tried adjusting the stone (turning 1/4 turns on shaft and sanding bushing area flat) with no noticeable difference. Perhaps, there's enough flex in the frame to pass a 2mm (~1/16") wobble to the stone.

I look forward to learning about any similar experiences.

Ken S

Welcome to the forum, Mstelts.

My first instinct is to refer you to Tormek support (support@tormek.se). This is an excellent service which Tormek provides at no charge. This is not limited to warranty service. They are experienced and dedicated.

Ken

RickKrung

Yes, welcome to the forum.  Can you post a video?  That could help others understand what is happening.  I have taken to loading my videos on Vimeo and posting links to them.  I take the videos with my smart phone and email them to myself and then upload the ones I want to share. 

Such as:

A "Hanjig" angle setting tool
https://vimeo.com/286976178

Truing Damaged SJ wheel
https://vimeo.com/328974620

There is a way to embed the URL into the text, but I keep forgetting how to do it. 

I would be very cautious and reticent to modify bushings and/or shafts.  It is not likely these are the source of your wobbles.

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

mstelts

Thank you for your thoughtful replies. I posted my question before starting four weeks of travel, thus my slow response. I'll get back to this in a couple weeks.
-Mike

Ken S

mstelts

Thank you for referring me to Tormek support, Ken. Tormek confirmed the drive wheel wobble and suggested the zinc wheel, which has tighter tolerances; but, wouldn't guarantee that it would completely correct the issue. Since this only affects the honing wheel, I'll probably just live with it. Now, that the the motor doesn't bounce (having sanded it true), it's not a big deal.