News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

PM-V11

Started by Ken S, June 08, 2019, 02:19:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

PM-V11 is a premium blade steel developed by Lee Valley. It has remarkable edge holding ability, and is easily sharpened by conventional sharpening materials.

I recently learned from a very reliable source that PM-V11 is very compatible with the Tormek SG grinding wheels. In our rush for new technology, we sometimes overlook how versatile and effective our Original SG wheels are.

Ken

Jan

Ken, the composition of PM-V11 is not known, because it is a result of Lee Valley private development with costs cca $250 000.

In an older review by Christoper Schwarz I read, that during sharpening PM-V11 behaves as high-carbon steel. The easy sharpening may indicate the steel contains only limited amount of extremely hard carbides.

PM indicates powder metallurgy which gives the steel fine and uniform grain structure.

Jan

Ken S

Jan,

Your description sounds like the kind of steel I would want for woodworking tools. I have dealt with Lee Valley for twenty five years and have always found them to be both reputable and innovative.

Ken

Jan

Ken, Veritas offers top-quality replacement blades made of PM-V11 steel also for Stanley planes. Veritas plane blades are thicker (0.1 inch) than the standard blades (0.08 inch). They have 30⁰ bevel.

Jan

Ken S

Good post, Jan.

I have been fascinated with premium plane blades and chisels for many years. If I ever purchase a new bench plane, it would have a premium blade. However, my 1909 vintage Stanley Bedrock planes are still performing well and will continue to do so.

I must confess a temptation to order a replacement blade and chip breaker made of PM-V11, perhaps two: One for initial planing and one for smoothing.

Ken

Dakotapix

Hi Ken — There are a few on various hand tool forums who think the original Stanley chipbreaker/capiron is better than the aftermarket units. If you do take the plunge to PM-V11 you might try using the Stanley chipbreaker first. It's possible though that the nut may not have enough thread to attach to the thicker new iron. I have several PM-V11 plane irons and like them a lot although most are installed on bevel up Veritas planes. I also use a PM-V11 on a Lie-Nielsen #4 smoother and in that case use the LN chipbreaker. That same blade was also used on my Stanley Bedrock 604 with the original chip breaker with good results.