News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Drive Wheel

Started by Herman Trivilino, April 04, 2019, 06:01:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Herman Trivilino

I have the SuperGrind2000, which is basically the T-7 only older and the color is green instead of blue.  ;)

The machine was purchased in the year 2002. The drive wheel has a side-to-side wobble. If I recall correctly this drive wheel is made of plastic whereas the ones available now are made of metal.

I'm seeing a price of just under $72.92 plus $9.95 shipping.

The sound of my machine undulates at the same frequency as the wheel spins. And the drive shaft doesn't get a very good grip on the drive wheel.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?
Origin: Big Bang

Ken S

Herman,

Have you tried the handbook drive wheel  first-aid of roughing up the rubber drive wheel a bit with sandpaper? I have not needed to do that, however, I know of cases where that has solved the problem.

Regarding the new, metal drive wheel: I replaced the original plastic drive wheel on my T7 with the new zinc version. My old drive wheel was working fine; I just wanted to stay current for posting. The zinc version looks formidable! Also, at some point, Tormek switched to a patented rubberlike substance which has more gripping power. I believe this was around 2014, when they introduced the T4. If you do end up having to replace your drive wheel, the new version really is an upgrade.

I would certainly try reviving your present drive wheel before condemning it. After seventeen years of service, your veteran drive wheel deserves some TLC. (My original plastic wheel is now restored to duty with another forum SuperGrind which had a cracked drive wheel.)

Please keep us posted with the outcome. Your experience will benefit many forum members.

Ken

Herman Trivilino

Quote from: Ken S on April 04, 2019, 11:33:41 AM
Have you tried the handbook drive wheel  first-aid of roughing up the rubber drive wheel a bit with sandpaper?

I do that pretty often, Ken.

QuoteAlso, at some point, Tormek switched to a patented rubberlike substance which has more gripping power.

Good to know. The grip never really was that great from the beginning. Once Jeff taught me the sandpaper trick that helped a lot. But that was some time ago.

I ordered the new wheel yesterday right after I posted. Should make it run better than new. Expensive upgrade, though. Maybe not compared to a new Tormek, but a new Tormek is a major investment for me. I don't really use it as much as other posters, but it's indispensable. I'm on my third grindstone and still using the original stone grader.

Ken S

Herman,

One of the parts of being our vintage is having long memories. Whenever I order a half size submarine sandwich (eight inches) now in Ohio, I remember the real subs back in New Jersey when I was a kid in the nineteen fifties. Instead of five to seven dollars for a half size "almost" submarine sandwich, the full size genuine article from New Jeersey cost seventy five cents back then. Replacement parts are always expensive, expensive to stock and expensive to buy.  Your present drive wheel has seen service for fifteen years with three grinding wheels. There is no shame in that. The new zinc model should be "good for the duration".

I am pleased you decided to purchase a replacement. You have a lot of experience; it would be lamentable to see that experience go unused. Your first drive wheel witnessed the birth of the Herman platform, something which has benefitted all of us. I look forward to seeing what the second drive wheel will witness.

We live in interesting times!

Ken

Herman Trivilino

Ken, back in the day, I would put away two full length subs, no problem. Now it's a half sub for me every time. Love Jrecks in northern NY, but the subway chain around here is alright.

I've had my Tormek for 17 years, I think. Anyway, the new drive wheel is on its way, should be here tomorrow! Sharpening the paring knives will be the first task.

Ken S

Herman, please post your thoughts on the new drive wheel.
Sadly, I'm down to half a sub, too, and not very often. After fifty years of searching, I haven't founs a sub in Ohio to match those I remember in New Jersey.  :'(

Ken

Herman Trivilino

Installed the new drive wheel today. It comes with a new nut, significantly wider than the original. The drive wheel gets a much better grip. It's a lot harder to stall the grindstone.

The old drive wheel has two stress cracks. They start at the center hole and go radially outward, forming almost a straight line. That appears to account for the side-to-side wobble. And the noise. The machine is considerably quieter now.

Ken S

Excellent, Herman!

It seems the elves at Tormek have been productive. The new drive wheel seems improved in several areas.

Keep us posted.

Ken