News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Newbie question-drive wheel nut torque

Started by Yardbird, March 14, 2019, 05:21:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yardbird

I guess the title asks my question. The nut that holds the drive wheel on my brand new T8  is finger tight. Is that correct? (I searched and did not find any posts about this...) Thanx, Kevin

jeffs55

A firm finger tight is correct as the machine itself is basically self tightening. You do not use a wrench to tighten the nut. If you insist on a wrench, just the least amount of force you can use is all you need. The nut unscrews opposite the direction of travel of the wheel and therefore will not loosen in use.
You can use less of more but you cannot make more of less.

Ken S

I would not use anything more than light hand tightening on the EZYlock. Keep the wrenches far away!

Ken

cbwx34

Quote from: Yardbird on March 14, 2019, 05:21:14 PM
I guess the title asks my question. The nut that holds the drive wheel on my brand new T8  is finger tight. Is that correct? (I searched and did not find any posts about this...) Thanx, Kevin

The drive wheel nut = the nut on the inside where the honing wheel is?  I think that should be tightened down a little more than "finger tight".
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

jeffs55

You are right, I did not read correctly. I wonder if he asked the right question because why would he have loosened that nut?
You can use less of more but you cannot make more of less.

Yardbird

Sorry for not getting back to the forum in a timely manner. I did not loosen the nut, I noticed it was so loose it was making noise while running.