News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Tormek SA-250

Started by sumu, April 18, 2009, 09:16:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sumu

Hello,

I have an early Tormek SA-250. It has a factory-made rubber coated polishing wheel, possibly polyurethane coating.

The rubber coating has developed some scratches over the years. Do you have any suggestions how to refurbish the surface?

Is the rubber coating readily loaded with some small amount of abrasive particles? It kinda feels like that, but I can't be sure.

Yours,

Samu

sumu

I found some further information about that rubber wheel, auf Deutsch. Hier, bitte.

This was new to me that 2000-series has been factory delivered with such a rubber wheel.

Yours,

Samu

sumu

Well, to keep up the monologue... ::)

Mr. Hakan Persson of Tormek Sweden contacted me and kindly shared some information on these rubber coated polishing wheels.

I heard that Tormek canceled the rubber wheel from their program during 1994. The rubber coating is filled with aluminium oxide. Alumina grain size distribution is not exactly known but it should be fine grained all the way.

According to Mr. Persson, the best way to true this kind of polishing wheel is to apply a piece of 60...80 grit SiC or ZrO sandpaper, most preferrably attached to a straight piece of some rigid substrate. I glued a piece of sandpaper to a piece of plywood, and it worked just fine as a truing tool. For example a belt sander is not needed at all.

The wheel works now quite well indeed. There is no actual need for adding any polishing paste. A minor amount of common very low viscosity paraffin oil, or some water as lubricant seems to improve the polishing procedure slightly.

Yours,

Samu

SirfStarIII

Here was a smart tip even if the thread is old and there is only a monologue.  ;)

I also got a tip about setting wheel in a lathe and turning it. I think I'll try sandpaper method first.  :)

Ken S

Welcome to the forum, SirfstarIII.

Thank you for reviving a very interest subject. I was surprised that I did not remember it. Then I noticed it was posted in April 2009. I did not join the forum until August of that year.

I first read about the SA-250 in a very early handbook I purchased. At the time it was introduced as an accessory, the present quick release was introduced.(later standard on the larger Tormeks like the T7/8) I purchased a quick release as a spare part for my T4, and have been very pleased with it. I only have one leather honing wheel for the T4, however, the quick release makes it very easy to clean any honing compound from behind the honing wheel.

I have wondered why Tormek discontinued the SA-250. It seems a useful accessory. I have a set of rubber rust erasers with imbedded abrasive grit. They do a nice job of removing staining and light surface rust from steel.Like a pencil eraser, they do shed a little. Not every function needs a power tool.

I find it unfortunate that this was a monologue. No one replied. Equally unfortunate was that Samu ceased being active on the forum later that month.

Good post, SirfstarIII.

Ken

Jack H

Hi
I am lucky to have inherited a Tormek SA 250 Whetstone Grinder. Although the main body of the machine is as new, one of the 197mm Dia sandstone wheels has been used and has an enlarged 20mm plastic boss/bush which is over-sized for the 12mm spindle and ask if anyone knows if there is a spacer 12 to 20mm adapter boss/bush available.
I would at some stage like to upgrade the shaft for the newer stainless steel with the self-locking nut/thumb wheel. Thank you any advice is welcome.

Ken S

The original Tormek wheels were natural stone, mined from an island off the coast of Sweden. It was a finer grit than the SG aluminum oxide wheel.

I wonder if 20mm is a standard size European bore size for grinding wheels? A 250 mm x 50 mm grinding wheel is a substantial size. With higher speed grinders, it might be designed for 20 mm shafts. Does anyone know?

Ken

ps Please check your forum messages.