News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Improved WM-200 Anglemaster

Started by Ken S, February 03, 2019, 01:01:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

Here is a link showing the new Improved WM-200 Anglemaster:

https://advanced-machinery.myshopify.com/products/tormek-improved-wm-200-angle-master

The difference is the inclusion of the second angle scale. This scale is for using the Multi Base 100 and grinding on the side of the three new diamond wheels to obtain a flat grind. Following Tormek's custom of equipping new units with the most advanced accessories and only stocking the most advanced jigs and accessories, I suspect this will be the only version available once stock of the older version is depleted.

I consider some of Tormek's redesigned jigs and accessories significant enough for users to spend the money to replace the older design. The SVD-186 gouge jig comes to mind in this category. With most of the redesigns, I would definitely purchase the newer model if I needed one, however, I would not replace the older model. For most Tormek users, I would place the new Anglemaster in the latter category. Unless you plan to use diamond or CBN wheels with abrasive on the side, the new design offers no new functionality.

I would recommend purchasing the new Anglemaster if you decide to purchase a Multi Base. At that time the extra functionality of the second angle scale becomes useful. I would also purchase the new model if for some reason I needed to replace my Anglemaster. For a stand alone purchase, the price difference is six dollars, $29 vs $35 US.

Tormek is continually advancing. The choice is yours; I encourage everyone to make informed choices.

Ken

Sharpco

cbwx34

Quote from: Ken S on February 03, 2019, 01:01:48 PM

I would recommend purchasing the new Anglemaster if you decide to purchase a Multi Base. At that time the extra functionality of the second angle scale becomes useful. I would also purchase the new model if for some reason I needed to replace my Anglemaster. For a stand alone purchase, the price difference is six dollars, $29 vs $35 US.

Tormek is continually advancing. The choice is yours; I encourage everyone to make informed choices.

Ken

-1 For me.

Paying $35 for something Tormek should have included with the jig, is crazy to me.  It would have only cost them a few dollars... and even if they had passed that on to the user, it would have been a fraction of now paying a full retail price.  (They could have made it MB-100 specific, since the left side never has to move, and it would've been even less $ to make).  Would've been a better package.

I'll stick to "doing the math"... add 18° and making a few key degree marks on my old one with a marker.. and going from there.  (My "informed choice").  ::)
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Ken S

Interesting thoughts, CB. I hope Tormek reads your comments.

I can see some advantages in making two Anglemasters: One for the Original grinding wheels with the diameter adjustments and a single angle scale. And a second, separate model with no fiameter adjustments and two angle scales for the diamond wheels. That would make each of the two tools more foolproof.

Including the diamond wheel only with the Multi Base would have been a nice touch, and probably be priced less than the two components individually. Food for thought.

"Informed choice" was not intended to convince you (or anyone else) to buy another Anglemaster. My intention was to make sure we are aware of the choice. The new Anglemaster comes soon after the redesigned TT-50 truing tool. As a truing is essential for, but not included with the T4, every serious T4 owner will need to purchase a TT-50 sooner or later. The redesigned model has the same price as the older model. I try to cut down on the number of forum members who will inadvertently purchase the older model unaware that there is an improved version. I don't think the Anglemaster situation is nearly as critical. You are now informed and have made an informed choice. For the record, unless I would get into a lot of side grinding, I would probably not replace my Anglemaster, either.

Ken