News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

T4 Honing

Started by SliceKing, October 10, 2018, 07:27:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SliceKing

Hello!
I'm a newbie so I'm ignorant of any and all TORMEK tips and tricks. Anyway - I had difficulty yesterday when honing longer knives on my new T4. The grinding wheel was in the way when trying to hone one side of the blade. Am I just not positioning myself - or the knife - or the machine - in the correct orientation - or is this a well known T4 problem? Once I took the grinding wheel off there was no problem. Well, there was one problem. Occasionally the friction I was creating on the honing wheel (even with moderate pressure) was enough to pull it off the drive wheel. So I'd have to stop the machine, line up the shaft and push everything back together. After this happened a few times I 'solved' my problem by putting an elastic band on the grinding wheel shaft right next to the housing so the shaft was 'anchored'. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong and/or provide tips on more efficient T4 honing? Thanks!

cbwx34

Quote from: SliceKing on October 10, 2018, 07:27:55 PM
Hello!
I'm a newbie so I'm ignorant of any and all TORMEK tips and tricks. Anyway - I had difficulty yesterday when honing longer knives on my new T4. The grinding wheel was in the way when trying to hone one side of the blade. Am I just not positioning myself - or the knife - or the machine - in the correct orientation - or is this a well known T4 problem? Once I took the grinding wheel off there was no problem. Well, there was one problem. Occasionally the friction I was creating on the honing wheel (even with moderate pressure) was enough to pull it off the drive wheel. So I'd have to stop the machine, line up the shaft and push everything back together. After this happened a few times I 'solved' my problem by putting an elastic band on the grinding wheel shaft right next to the housing so the shaft was 'anchored'. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong and/or provide tips on more efficient T4 honing? Thanks!

You've already figured out one method... remove the grinding wheel, put something there to keep the shaft on (if you bought it new, the white plastic tube used in shipping, that you probably threw away, works well), and then hone on the leather wheel.

Option 2 is to leave the grinding wheel on, and hone on top of the leather wheel (freehand) at an angle, so the handle and or knife clears the grinding wheel.  Takes a bit of practice, but works well.  (I'll try and find a video showing this).

Edit to add:  Here's a video to give you a bit of an idea of the 2nd option...

https://youtu.be/cs7UPQXf9_I?t=928
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Ken S

Welcome to the forum, Slice King.

The white plastic tube which holds the shaft in place with the grinding wheel is essential. If you happened to discard yours, you can easily make up a very satisfactory substitute using a piece of plastic pipe or a plastic pipe conmecting piece. The inside diameter of the plastic substitute needs to be at least 12mm, half inch works fine, and the length of the wheel bore. If you happen to have some plastic pipe or conduit on hand, making it (make at least two while you are at it) will take less time than reading this. This will keep your shaft from slipping.

CB's advice is normally excellent. The video he linked is not. I watched the while thing; it was painful. This video has more misinformation about the Tormek than any video I have seen. Instead search for and watch Jeff Farris' knife sharpening video (search farris tormek videos)

I understand an occasional misquote in a video, however, this guy doesn't have a clue. Please ignore it. Do not ignore CB; he is quite sharp on sharpening knives. I think he just had a senior moment.  :)

Ken

cbwx34

Quote from: Ken S on October 10, 2018, 08:59:12 PM
I understand an occasional misquote in a video, however, this guy doesn't have a clue. Please ignore it. Do not ignore CB; he is quite sharp on sharpening knives. I think he just had a senior moment.  :)

Ken

No senior moment, I leave those for you. ;)  It showed what I intended... not every video has to show "perfection".

p.s.  If you watch some of his videos... he says he's learning... just brave enough to show the process.  (So, maybe a less critical eye?)  ::)
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Ken S

I may have overreacted. Yes, the video did show what you intended. I can certainly understanding being a learner. We are all learners. I do not expect perfection.

I do think it rreasonable to have expected him to have fact checked his shooting script with the handbook. Also, I think he should have qualified his statements about the limitations of the Tormek. Do not belittle the machine for oneĀ“s own beginner limitations.

My concern with misinformation in videos is that a beginner, without enough background to see through the errors might believe the misinformation.

Ken