News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

double-bit axe ?

Started by Garrett47, August 28, 2018, 09:21:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Garrett47

I've been using the Tormek axe jig for a number of years with very good success. This past weekend, a friend dropped off a double-bit axe for which the conventional axe jig will not work.
Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions.
Thanks so much,
Garrett

RickKrung

A platform?  Would be sort of assisted free-hand but could work. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

RichColvin

That's my recommendation also.

Rich
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

Ken S

Garrett,

Another vote for the platform. Just to give you some background on platforms, the small platform, developed by Herman of this forum, gets most of the press. It was originally developed to sharpen small knives. Its width, slightly less than the grinding wheel, allows sharpening the full length of both sides of the small knife blade without having to reposition the platform. The Tormek platform was designed for sharpening turning scrapers. It should work with double bit axes.

You already know how to sharpen an axe. Just apply what you kniw to the platform.

For the record, I consider both the Tormek platform and the homemade small platform (made from the scissors jig platform) essential parts of a sharpener's kit.

Ken

cbwx34

I wonder if the ax jig can be used in a way that wootz shows on his website?  (I know that's not the right type ax, just wondering if it would work to set it that way in the jig).

(Maybe put a piece of masking tape across the edge not being sharpened?)  ???
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Jan

Please see my reply no 11 and 16 in the thread Sharpening Axe with Tormek? https://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=3448.0
In this case the bevel angle for each side must be set separately.

Jan