News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

updating and combining several Tormek ideas

Started by Ken S, June 05, 2018, 03:07:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

In one of his vintage (and still very useful) videos, Jeff Farris explained using the Torlock platform with turning scrapers. In a touch of bravado, when he was finished, Jeff removed the usb from his SuperGrind with the Torlock left tightly in place. He set the assembly in two pegboard hooks, ready at a moment's notice for the next use. This was a time saver for a busy turner. As a Tormek salesman and a nice guy, Jeff would gladly sell you a spare usb so that you could do this in your shop.

I borrowed this idea from Jeff when I was testing the blackstone reshaping a turning gouge. (At the time I did not realize that I was using too much grinding pressure with the blackstone. The stone kept glazing.) I had to use the truing tool at least a dozen times. It was very frustrating. I finally used a second usb with the truing tool, which dramatically sped up changeover time. I have several usbs, why not leave one dedicated to the truing tool?

I just watched Wootz' (Knife Grinders) excellent you tube on insane knife sharpening with the Tormek. Wootz cleverly uses a thin diamond stone paired with a plane blade in his square edge jig. This arrangement insures that his grinding wheel remains square and straight. Good idea, except the usb must be reset both for the dressing and back to the grinding. Many of us have spare usbs and square edge jigs laying around the shop. Why not have a dedicated "stone grader" set up?

Why not use an adaptation of Herman's platform? (We would be using the bottom of the platform instead of the top. A side clamp, like used on the Eclipse type sharpening jigs would allow easy interchangeability of diamond stones with different grits. This would make stone grading very fast and precise.

Ken

cbwx34

Quote from: Ken S on June 05, 2018, 03:07:36 PM
...when I was testing the blackstone reshaping a turning gouge. (At the time I did not realize that I was using too much grinding pressure with the blackstone. The stone kept glazing.) I had to use the truing tool at least a dozen times. It was very frustrating.

Not to change the subject... but one thing that can be done with a regular waterstone that "glazes"... is to build a little slurry... this essentially allows the stone to "grind itself" a bit... keeping it from glazing.  Wonder if the same could be done with the SB stone... pre-soak it... then drop the water trough and let it build a little slurry as you sharpen... might keep it from glazing over or smoothing out so often.  Return to water occasionally  for a "rinse off".  ;)

Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)