News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Used Supergrind 2000 value?

Started by blackhawk, April 16, 2018, 03:31:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blackhawk

Hello all - New member here looking for help on buying a used Supergrind 2000 at a local auction.  I wanted to get others thought on how much that I should bid.  I have only seen pictures of the machine so far from the auction catalog.  I am going the day before the auction to view it in person.  From the pics, it appears to be in great condition without much use.  It does have the horizontal mount, but I am pretty sure it does not have the micro-adjustment.  It also includes a cover and the leather V-shaped honing wheel.  It does not having the stainless steel shaft.

Thanks

SharpenADullWitt

Some years back now, I beat the norm by buying a Supergrind and all the turning components and spare wheel for $188.
Mine is the version that has the same shape as the T-7, not the earlier square version.  I wonder which style frame the one your looking at has, as the square version could have clearance issues with some tools and that front mount.  Is there rust on the shaft and stone?  Any other tools with it?
Auctions tend to go one of two ways, but personally I don't see this as the "bare tool" to be worth more then $250, while they are routinely priced at a LOT more then that.
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Ken S

Welcome to the forum, Blackhawk.

You will be in the company of many friendly SuperGrinders (as well as newer models). I will start by answering a very frequently asked question. Yes, all of the present jigs and accessories are fully compatable with SuperGrinds, and even older models. Obviously many improvements have been made over the years. Some you will want, and some you don't need. However, you can add gradually as needs and budget warrant.

In general, I think the prices of used Tormek equipment are too high. A very basic T4, which is a trooper machine, starts out at around $400 US. With the essential TT-50 truing tool and a couple jigs, figure in a couple hundred more. Keep in mind that this includes Tormek's rock solid warranty.

Assuming the frame is in good condition, the other expensive part is the motor. If it starts and runs well, you have a safe bet. Don't worry if there is a little slippage. Two minutes and a little sandpaper cures this. (It is regular maintenance.)

An auction saavy friend recommends figuring what you want to pay, and, if the item is special, being prepared to add twenty percent. Off the top of my head, Two hundred dollars sounds like a good figure. However, I would kick myself if it went for $205 and I missed it.

Whether it is a new or used Tormek, you are making a lifetime investment.

I wish you well, and hope you will let us know the outcome. Keep posting; you are among friends.

Ken

RichColvin

Brad,

I have that machine, and added the following to it :

• $46.00 - US-105 Universal Support Bar with Micro Adjust
  • $68.00 - MSK-250 Stainless Shaft Upgrade
  • $69.00 - TT-50U (converting the older ADV-50D)
= $183.00
- $719.00 (for a new T-8)

= $536 difference.

But, that doesn't count the value you get with a new machine (like a warranty), a much better designed honing wheel, and the much better design features.  In the end, unless it is less than $300, I'd probably pass.

Oh, and if you have to add a new stone, the SB-250 costs $214.00.  If that is needed, then you're comparing :

• $46.00 - US-105 Universal Support Bar with Micro Adjust
  • $68.00 - MSK-250 Stainless Shaft Upgrade
  • $69.00 - TT-50U (converting the older ADV-50D)
  • $214.00 - SB-250 Stone
= $397.00
- $719.00 (for a new T-8)

= $322 difference.

Kind regards,
Rich
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

blackhawk

I appreciate all the responses.  The machine does have a slanted front, so I assume that it is not the square frame.  The stone looks to be in really good shape in the pics.  I will know a lot more once I see it in person.

SharpenADullWitt

Slanted front, means it should also have the sticker that gives you an idea (if you forget a tape measure) how big the wheel is.
That model became the T-7 when they changed the shaft to Stainless steel.  A year or two later (approx) they changed the shaft again, to the quick release model (the upgrade that is purchasable now). 
Check to see if it runs (they certainly should be able to prove that), and see if there are signs of rust around the wheel.  You could (if they allow examination), remove the nut and wheel on the opposite side and pull the shaft out with the grinding wheel on, and see if it seems stuck to the shaft.  (common, but makes it worth less, or could be brought up to make competitors think less of it)
If it is stuck, you could just use it as is, until you need/get the next wheel, then upgrade both the shaft and replace the bushings at the same time.
See the video on Youtube labeled Tormek upgrades: EzyLock and AWT-250
Just for square frame/history:
https://www.tormek.com/usa/en/about-tormek/the-tormek-story/

I do wonder about those that didn't upgrade the support bar, as most that I have observed, seemed to be/have turners tools/attachments for it, where they set the bar with other methods.  The threaded bar (which at least one member here, threaded his existing bar with a die), is more for hand tools/knives and such.  That may not be a big thing for your uses.
Take a picture of the tool kits, so you can spot the accessories if they are sold separately, which is another auctioneers trick to raise more money.
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Ken S

Good thoughts, SADW.

I suspect there are many fine old SuperGrinds which, for one reason or another, have not seen much service. A good find. I also suspect that we have many original unthreaded support bars in use on this forum, as well as many original non stainless shafts. Fortunately, the newest replacements are fully compatable with early Tormeks.

Best of luck at the auction, Blackhawk. Keep us posted.

Ken

blackhawk

Well, the final price of the Supergrind 2000 was $402 with the buyer fee and sales tax included.  That was too steep for me.  It did include a little ShopFox table that is $50 new, a grading stone, and  honing paste.  It was in great shape, but that was a lot to pay for a unit that is two revisions old.  I did pick up some nice woodworking odds and ends though, so not all was lost.  The best thing that I got was a whole box of various sharpening stones, such as slip stones, arkansas stones, round and square stones.

Brad

Ken S

Brad,

You made a wise choice to avoid auction. In the $150 US range, several of us might have bid. $402 is just too close to the price of a new unit with Tormek's ironclad warranty. Don't become discouraged. New or used, I believe there will be a Tormek in your future.

In the meantime, stay active on the forum. Knowledge can't hurt!

Ken