News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

diamond wheels and traditional Tormek technique

Started by Ken S, March 17, 2018, 12:40:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

The old reliable Tormek SuperGrind (SG) wheels can tolerate a lot of abuse. Many are still in service even though being rusted to the pre 2006 non stainless steel shafts. Many are still running which have not been kept true and dressed.

These old troopers are like the phoenix; a session with the truing tool can restore trueness and expose fresh cutting grains to the surface.

As we enter the world of Tormek sharpening with diamond wheels, we also enter another learning curve. We must unlearn our aluminum oxide (SG) habits. Reexamining how I used the DWC-200, which I really like, I realized how deeply engrained my aluminum oxide habits are. With AO, the surface finish is visibly improved by using a very light touch with the last few passes. With diamond, the entire grinding process should be done with light pressure. Diamond is both hard  and fragile. Used carefully and correctly, a diamond wheel should be a lifetime purchase for most of us.

In my subconscious mind, I can visualize Jeff Farris lifting one side of his SuperGrind with grinding pressure on his chisel. "Don't be afraid to really lean on it!" This works with AO wheels like the SG. No doubt it also appeals to the younger, macho, prospective buyers. (To keep this comment in context, I must add that Jeff also stated that the Tormek also works very well with a light touch, such as someone with arthritis might use.)

Once the AO grains eventually became dull, the truing tool can remove them and expose fresh new (sharp) grains. Granted that the diamond wheels have exceptional endurance, perhaps more than the operator, if the diamonds are dulled due to misuse, there are no new fresh grains to restore the wheel.

We must learn diamond thinking. We must let the extreme sharpness of the diamond grains gently do the work. My DMT diamond flattening plate is a constant reminder of that. It was hyped as being able to flatten any stone in the shop. The hype is almost true. It excels with waterstones. It not only flattens AO oilstones such as India stones, it restores the sharp cutting surface, making them cut like new again. However, it is no match for crystalon stones (often an alternative for AO, especially in coarser grits). An old crystalon stone ruined my $200 US diamond flat plate.

The plate is a good and useful product. I give it high marks. I do not extend these high marks to the company marketing department or the enthusiastic reviewers who did not shout the caveat. (I have not used my plate for several years; marketing may have corrected this situation by now.)

I do not want Tormek diamond wheel users to fall prey to the same lack of knowledge. In fairness, I have seen the grinding pressure quietly mentioned by Tormek. However, this is not enough to counteract long developed SG working habits. This caveat needs to be bold and frequent. My initial use results with the DWC-200 and DWF-200 have been very positive. They are wonderful new tools which will revolutionize the Tormek. However, retraining is essential for these fine products to shine.  I hope Tormek will have outstanding video training on the website before these wheels are available in June.

Ken