News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

T2 insights

Started by Ken S, February 17, 2018, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

Working with the DWC-200 on the T4 have given me some insights into what I believe is the role of the T2.

I believe the variable we have not discussed is frequency of sharpening. Under ideal conditions, how much edge dulling occurs before the knife is resharpened? The same two axis graph I imagine for wheel truing comes to mind. The vertical axis is either wheel trueness or edge sharpness. The horizontal axis is time. A knife or tool regularly sharpened at the first indication of dullness will produce a graph resembling a saw with many teeth. The sharpness will fall only a small amount before the blade is resharpened and the sharpness is restored to optimal. The average sharpness is almost optimal. Downtime for sharpening is more frequent, but quicker.

With the more typical sharpening schedule, the edge is allowed to become considerably more dull. Downtime for sharpening is less frequent, but sharpening sessions require longer times and may involve coarser methods. On our graph, the line resembles a saw with fewer teeth and deeper gullets. A calculated average cutting efficiency would yield a lower number.

With this graph in mind, I believe the T2 is designed for more frequent sharpening. By using a dry diamond wheel, it does not require the set up and cleaning of using water. Setting up the built in knife jig is essentially automatic. There is no need to reset from using other jigs because, by design, there are no other jigs. There is no need for honing compound. There is no truing of the wheel.

Unlike other Tormeks, which are advertised to sharpen "every blade in the shop", the T2 is designed for a very small part of the sharpening universe, the restaurant kitchen. And, within that limited sphere, it is designed to be used on demand. I think the "on demand" factor is critical. Tormek wants the cook to have optimally sharp knives, which require less effort to use. In order for the 600 grit diamond wheel to be efficient, the knife must be almost sharp before it is sharpened. The finer grit wheel restores optimum sharpness efficiently. It is not efficient at making a very dull blade sharp again. The time involved is too long for most people. (This provides a good but unwanted lesson to not allow one's knives to become so dull.)

The conventional Tormek and sharpener have the advantage. The SG and SB grindinging wheels efficiently restore very dull edges to sharpness. The conventional Tormek sharpener is well equipped with these tools. I believe a sharpener whose work includes being mobile would be well served to include a T4 with a DWC-200 in his kit.

Another small part in this kit, ideal for long knives, would be the parts for the shaped honing wheels. These can be used to add another three inches to the distance between the leather honing wheel and the grinding wheel, a very neat dodge for clearance with long knives. I don't immediately recall who posted this idea quite recently. Whoever did wins an honorary membership in the "Popular Mechanics Home Workshop" society for clever thinking.

Ken

stevebot

Steve Bottorff; author, teacher and consultant on knife and scissor sharpening.