News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

set up for micro bevels

Started by Ken S, January 12, 2018, 12:21:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

I have known about and generally used micro bevels since the time when I sharpened with oilstones.That changed when I started using the Tormek. However, recent posts on the forum, notably by Jan and Wootz, have caused me to revise my thinking.

Jan posted that raising the microadjust one revolution raises the support bar 1.5 mm (1/16"). As I recall, Jan translated that to 2°. This change can also be easily made with either Wootz' computer program or a kenjig. However, the problem with all of these methods is remembering where the support bar is set, up or down?

These shims are also available in a horseshoe shape which could be inserted into the threaded leg of the support bar below the microadjust. With the shim in place, the support bar is in the up position. No shim = lower position.

Shims like this can work either way. Up for a traditional micro bevel. Or, following Wootz' idea for toothy edges, down. Using his computer program would provide accurate thickness requirements.

Attached is a link showing some horseshoe shims. This project seems ideal for being shop made.

https://www.certifiedmtp.com/econ-o-shim-30-series-1-2-thickness-solid-150-ct/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIloPS1-vQ2AIVhrfACh1amwvfEAQYBSABEgJc0_D_BwE

Ken

cbwx34

Quote from: Ken S on January 12, 2018, 12:21:47 AM
Jan posted that raising the microadjust one revolution raises the support bar 1.5 mm (1/16"). As I recall, Jan translated that to 2°. This change can also be easily made with either Wootz' computer program or a kenjig. However, the problem with all of these methods is remembering where the support bar is set, up or down?
Ken

Just so you're aware, not too long ago, he gave this info when I asked him (I added the bold)...

Quote from: Jan on November 22, 2017, 09:48:39 PM
In a typical Kenjig configuration (stone diameter 250 mm, projection length 139 mm and bevel angle 15°) one turn of the adjustable stop will change the bevel angle by circa 1.5°.

One turn of the micro-adjust will change the bevel angle by circa 1°.

The thread pitch at the knife jig is 2.5 mm while at the micro-adjust only 1.5 mm.
Jan

I have known about and generally used micro bevels since the time when I sharpened with oilstones.That changed when I started using the Tormek. However, recent posts on the forum, notably by Jan and Wootz, have caused me to revise my thinking.

Reaaaaalllllly....   ::)  ;D
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Ken S

CB,

"As I recall" is not always accurate.... as you have correctly noted. Incidentally, I should have included you with Jan and Wootz. The slight was unintentional. It has been a jumbled day.

The purpose of the topic was to include using the shim as both primary and secondary.

Ken

Elden

Not having a US-105 with the fancy micro adjustment nut with the scale on it, I believe it has six numbers on it according to pictures. Correct if I am wrong, according to the above information 1/6 of a turn of the micro adjustment nut (1 number) would translate to 0.1667° while 1/12 turn (1/2 number) would be 0.0833°. That is pretty tight adjustments! I believe micro bevels should be no problem with judicious care on the Tormek.
   While looking for a picture of the micro adjustment nut, I stumbled across one of Ken's pet peeves on Amazon, inflated pricing:

Tormek US-105 Universal Support with Micro Adjust by Tormek
$ 109 32   
+ $3.49 shipping

Checking reputable dealers revealed a $46.00 price tag!
Elden

Ken S

Good post, Elden. Yes, that is one of my pet peeves. A legitimate business is entitled to earn a reasonable business profit. I am all for that. That's why companies like Tormek set suggested prices, to balance the cost of business with value for the customer. I hate to see a new Tormer owner start with a bad taste in the mouth because he was ripped off. Enough of my soapbox (for now).

I think the microadjust is a clever use of the same thread division which makes micrometers accurate.

Ken

cbwx34

Quote from: Ken S on January 12, 2018, 02:48:17 AM
CB,

"As I recall" is not always accurate.... as you have correctly noted. Incidentally, I should have included you with Jan and Wootz. The slight was unintentional. It has been a jumbled day.

The purpose of the topic was to include using the shim as both primary and secondary.

Ken

I'm not worthy to be included with Jan and wootz (so am not slighted)... just an advocate of "higher angle" honing.  ;)

Shims may be a quick and easy way to set the angle back and forth with consistency... and remembering where you're at in the process. Good idea!

Ken S

CB,

I have the distince advantage of a somewhat iffy memory.

Don't sell yourself short.

Ken

SharpenADullWitt

This reminds me since I have my second Tormek, I need to see if that numbered nut, fits on the old one that has the original black nut with no numbers.  I seem to remember reading that the bars changed thread types (went to or from an acme thread), so I didn't want to screw up the threads.

That would be a good question for Tormek support.
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Ken S

SADW,
That would be a good question for support. (support@tormek.se)
Ken

RickKrung

Quote from: cbwx34 on January 12, 2018, 02:25:24 AM
Ken

Just so you're aware, not too long ago, he gave this info when I asked him (I added the bold)...

Quote from: Jan on November 22, 2017, 09:48:39 PM
In a typical Kenjig configuration (stone diameter 250 mm, projection length 139 mm and bevel angle 15°) one turn of the adjustable stop will change the bevel angle by circa 1.5°.

One turn of the micro-adjust will change the bevel angle by circa 1°.

The thread pitch at the knife jig is 2.5 mm while at the micro-adjust only 1.5 mm.
Jan

Reaaaaalllllly....   ::)  ;D

Does this change with height of the USB.  I am thinking of extreme differences, very low angles vs very high angles, assuming the same jig projection distance. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

cbwx34

Quote from: RickKrung on January 17, 2018, 09:46:39 PM
Does this change with height of the USB.  I am thinking of extreme differences, very low angles vs very high angles, assuming the same jig projection distance. 
Rick

Was hoping Jan or someone would answer this with a bit more detail... but I'm pretty sure it does change some, my guess is not by much within the parameters of the typical settings used?  ???

Jan

It was derived a rule of thumb for typical Kenjig configuration.

The value 1.5°depends on wheel diameter, projection length and bevel angle. The change will not be dramatic when you stay in vicinity of the Kenjig parameters (some +/- 10 %).

Jan

P.S.: I am not very often here now, because I am working hard on my mini electric kiln project.  :P

cbwx34

Quote from: Jan on January 19, 2018, 09:56:05 PM
It was derived a rule of thumb for typical Kenjig configuration.

The value 1.5°depends on wheel diameter, projection length and bevel angle. The change will not be dramatic when you stay in vicinity of the Kenjig parameters (some +/- 10 %).

Jan

P.S.: I am not very often here now, because I am working hard on my mini electric kiln project.  :P

Excuses... Excuses...  ;)

Thanks for the response.  Good luck with your project!  :)