News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Built a sharpening station w/storage...

Started by loutent, January 16, 2018, 05:33:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

loutent

I bought a T8 some months ago and realized that I needed to have some sort of mobility for my basement shop. I designed it around the foam storage that come with the jigs so I built the drawers to fit them. I also needed some way to store my SJ stone and also SB (which is on the way). I didn't feel comfortable having the stones without protection when moving around the shop so I made some covers. Anyway, I thought I post some pictures - so far it's working great.

The finished cart:

Added an LED light:

SJ stone hanging on a 12mm hex bolt (bolt through double 3/4" plywood and epoxied from inside cabinet) - there is another bolt on opposite side for the SB.

Cover for the stone:

And yes - I'm into Festool - the systainer contains my diamond plates and other sharpening stuff.

Lou

RichColvin

Lou,

That looks awesome !!  Great work !

Rich
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

RickKrung

Yes! I agree with Rich, that is awesome. 

I have been thinking of building something similar, but I am without a table saw and have not wanted to use my Skilsaw for making the cuts.  I have had a Kreg Jig for several years and have used it to build a few things and love how strong the joints are. I have some plans for some cabinets that I downloaded from the Kreg web site, but have not settled on a design yet.  I have a finished, two-car garage, which is my shop, storage and playroom for my granddaughter, so space is a premium and mobility a requirement.  I like the looks of your cabinet, especially how wide it is.  I will very likely copy yours as much as I can.  Thanks for posting this. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

cbwx34

Very nice!

LED light's a nice touch.

Stone covers are a good idea too.  Chips are a @#$% to get out.  >:(

Thanks for sharing!  :)
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Ken S

Lou,

Kudos for a fine job. You have built a nicely made piece of furniture and a very practical workstand. It seeme just the right size, big enough and not too big. I think the Tormek rubber mat makes an excellent work surface. I trust you have a turkey baster. :)

I would be curious to know the work height you used. It looks right. I definitely like the light you chose, also. Good light is so important.

Your portable design is conducive to setting up so that you can work all around the stand. I like the rotating base, however, my favorite working method is to walk around the bench instead of rotating the Tormek.

I would offer two minor suggestions with the SB and SJ storage: Make sure you have adequate separation behind the wheels to allow them to dry. And, related, grinding wheels can take a long time to dry. Your cardboard boxes will last longer if you give your wheels plenty of time to dry before putting the covers on.

Good job!!!

Ken

RickKrung

Lou,

I noticed in your second and third photos what appears to be a Drill Doctor drill bit sharpener (middle shelf).  Do you also have the Tormek DBS-22 drill sharpening kit?  I have both and really like the DBS-22 over the DD, by a very wide margin.  The DBS-22 and the ability to put on multi-faceted angles was the overriding reason for my purchase of a T8.  Knife sharpening was secondary but important once I realized the Tormek was the very machine the guy I took my knives to. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

loutent

Thanks guys for all the nice comments and suggestions.

Ken - I actually do have a vinyl spacer in back of the wheel to allow for air circulation although my routine is
to allow 4-5 days for the wheel to dry - I contemplated drilling 2 or 3 holes top & bottom for ventilation and still
may do that. The wheel is not in the original box - I just used the front box cover and hot glued it in. I was really
concerned about the height so I mocked up a prototype until I got the height that felt right (around 24 inches) and
yes I usually just walk around to the back side instead of rotating. I need that baster tho!

Rick - yep it is a DD and I'm not thrilled with it either - the other device is a Chef's Choice sharpener which is just so-so in
my opinion, especially since I got the T8 - no comparison. My primary goal with the T8 was sharpening chisels and planes
for woodworking with kitchen knives a close second place. I am definitely considering the DBS-22 (notice the empty 3rd drawer  ;D).

Lou

cbwx34

Quote from: loutent on January 18, 2018, 04:10:45 PM
the other device is a Chef's Choice sharpener which is just so-so in my opinion, especially since I got the T8 - no comparison.

Eeeeek!  I hope you saw an improvement.  ;)
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Stevegee

Really looks good. You have kindled a spark. I am getting started on my own design now. Thanks for the nice pics.

RickKrung

Quote from: loutent on January 18, 2018, 04:10:45 PM
Thanks guys for all the nice comments and suggestions.

Rick - yep it is a DD and I'm not thrilled with it either - the other device is a Chef's Choice sharpener which is just so-so in
my opinion, especially since I got the T8 - no comparison. My primary goal with the T8 was sharpening chisels and planes
for woodworking with kitchen knives a close second place. I am definitely considering the DBS-22 (notice the empty 3rd drawer  ;D).

Lou

Quote from: RichColvin on September 22, 2017, 06:01:51 PM
Yes, the DBS-22 is a bit of $, but I've found it to be excellent at sharpening my bits, and I use drill bits on all manner of woods, as well as mild steel and other metals. 

I will be looking to learn to use a grinder for a tertiary grind and a secondary point angle (see also Joe Mazoff's article at http://www.newmantools.com/machines/drillpoint.html) for larger bits (especially when I'm drilling on the drill press).

I do have to hand sharpen my Forstner bits, but use the Tormek jig for all the twist drills.

Rich

I think when you do take that plunge, you will be very happy.  Above is a partial post by Rich Colvin which contains an excellent article on drill bit geometry.  I was already sold on getting the DBS-22 but that article really solidified it. 

This was the first drill I sharpened with the DBS-22.  Totally dealt with the primary issue I had with the DD - single facet only.  Secondarily, the finish is much better, which I like.

Rick