News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Pulled out the Tormek after a break

Started by brettgrant99, October 26, 2017, 10:08:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brettgrant99

So I pulled out my T-7 that I haven't used for a while.  I mainly use it for knives and the occasional chisel & plane iron.  I decided that I needed to fix all of the nicks in my chisels, so I trued the stone.  I dropped the support arm on the stone to check for high spots and then adjusted appropriately.  I haven't done this in a while, so I was following the manual and started with the diamond tip on the outside of the wheel.  For 3/4 the stone, the tip didn't even touch, and then it really dug in.  I dropped the microadjust by half (halfway between two number, about 0.005", not 180 degrees), and same experience.  Rinse and repeat.  Finally got a clean sweep across the stone, I think on the fourth or fifth try.

What did I learn?  I guess that I really lean on the right side of the stone.  To my eye against the support, the stone profile looked nice and true, but it was really triangular in shape.  Perhaps I should true more often.  I did get a lot of practice moving the tip at a uniform rate across the stone.  Some of those thread patterns were pretty cool looking.  In all, I think I went down about 0.05".  Not really too much.

Ken S

Brett,

My favorite saying for when to use the truing tool is the old Chicago voting saying, "Vote early and often".

I like your technique of using  several light passes. I am not in a hurry, and I like the control. Are the thread patterns you mention during grinding or on the grinding wheel after truing? I usually traverse the grinding wheel slowly (around two minutes). With the slow traverse, the wheel surface is very smooth. When I want a rougher surface I cross more quickly.

Interesting that you lean more on the right. I will have to pay attention to my lean pattern.

Glad you dusted off your Tormek. Keep us posted.

Ken

ps Does your daughter still play the oboe?

ega

Quote from: Ken S on October 27, 2017, 01:21:19 AM

My favorite saying for when to use the truing tool is the old Chicago voting saying, "Vote early and often".

Ken S:

So far as I recall, this important aspect of Chicagoans' behaviour was not covered by Frank Sinatra in the song of the same name!

brettgrant99

Ken - Alas, she dropped the oboe at the end of high school and now only plays piano.  However, she is a senior in college and will graduate next year with a bachelor's in Mechanical Engineering.  That has kept her pretty busy.  She is doing fine.

After reading the post about the grading stone, I wonder if it isn't the sharpening, but rather the grading that is causing the slope.  I am right handed and tend to do wheel away grinding most of the time.  I'll have to watch that.

Brett