News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Sharpening Your First Knife on the Tormek (Using the SVM-45)

Started by cbwx34, August 23, 2017, 01:20:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbwx34

Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Ken S

Well done, CB.

You have ecplained knife sharpening accurately. In my opinion, sharpening one's first knife with the Tormek should be preceeded by some experience sharpening a 3/4" (19mm) Irwin or Marples blue chip bench chisel. (See the first topic "tips and techniques" for a more in depth discussion of this.) The flat, large, single bevel of the bench chisel is the simplist edge I know of. The square edge jig is secured to the universal support. This facilitates learning the feel and sound of Tormek grinding.

Keep up the good work!

Ken

cbwx34

Quote from: Ken S on August 24, 2017, 11:55:53 AM
Well done, CB.

You have ecplained knife sharpening accurately. In my opinion, sharpening one's first knife with the Tormek should be preceeded by some experience sharpening a 3/4" (19mm) Irwin or Marples blue chip bench chisel. (See the first topic "tips and techniques" for a more in depth discussion of this.) The flat, large, single bevel of the bench chisel is the simplist edge I know of. The square edge jig is secured to the universal support. This facilitates learning the feel and sound of Tormek grinding.

Keep up the good work!

Ken

Thanks.

I read the topic you referenced.  I don't disagree that sharpening a chisel would be a good learning experience, and a good idea to start, but for someone who gets a Tormek mainly to sharpen knives... they will probably start with a knife... my experience anyway.

I will probably add a few notes on "setup"... since, for example, I learned the hard way, it's possible to "over oil" the honing wheel.  :'( ... as well as a few things to watch out for... like overgrinding the heel area.

Thanks again.

Ken S

CB,

I use the 3/4" Irwin Blue Chip chisels only for training and testing. A new Tormek owner is certainly free to start with whatever he wishes. Regardless of one's specialty, I believe a chisel is the most basic edge and should, in my opinion, should be the first learning tool. It is good training for Tormek fundamentals.

Ken

cbwx34

Quote from: Ken S on August 24, 2017, 05:05:49 PM
CB,

I use the 3/4" Irwin Blue Chip chisels only for training and testing. A new Tormek owner is certainly free to start with whatever he wishes. Regardless of one's specialty, I believe a chisel is the most basic edge and should, in my opinion, should be the first learning tool. It is good training for Tormek fundamentals.

Ken

"To sharpen a knife, you must first sharpen a chisel"... does have sort of a zen "vibe" to it.  :)   (Or, should I say... a "ken vibe" to it...) ;)

Ken S

SharpenADullWitt

Quote from: Ken S on August 24, 2017, 11:55:53 AM
Well done, CB.

Keep up the good work!

Ken

Going to disagree, as not everyone's needs are the same.  My restaurant friends, certainly wouldn't have a use for a chisel in the restaurant, but would have knives to practice on.
If you have limited use of the machine, best to practice on what you need it for.
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)