News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

hundred dollar Tormek?

Started by Ken S, June 05, 2017, 02:56:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

I recently noticed a hundred dollar starting price Tormek SuperGrind for sale at an online auction. According to the seller, it "runs like new". I won't dispute that. However, the seller honestly states that it is missing the grinding wheel, water trough, and support bar.

Looking more closely, it is the older SuperGrind without the horizontal universal support sleeves. This is easily remedied with the thirty dollar add on unit. A new universal support cost around forty five dollars. A new water trough costs around thirty dollars.  Shipping is around thirty dollars. The unit is around fifteen years old. It probably has years of useful life remaining, but comes with no warranty protection. The shaft did not appear to be rusted, and the paint looks good, too. For an experienced Tormek user wanting a second unit and not needing jigs or a second grinding wheel, this would suffice. At just under three hundred dollars, I would not call it a bargain, however, I would not call it a rip off, either.

For someone wanting a stand alone unit, one would need to add an SG-250 grinding wheel at one hundred eighty four dollars, a TT-50 Truing tool at ninety, an Anglemaster at thirty, and a tube of honing compound at ten. This assumes the leather honing wheel is OK, which it probably is.

Do the math. This old SuperGrind most probably has many more years of useful life. Missing that many things, including the grinding wheel, I would not think the original owner (or owners) was a kindly grandfather who used it lightly to sharpen his home workshop tools.

There is nothing wrong with a good used Tormek. If this unit was complete for a hundred dollars, I would probably buy it myself. I do think it is important to learn the real price of a used tool and factor in the value of a warranty with new or newer units. As the Car Talk guys would say, "it is the stingy man who pays the most".

Ken

Herman Trivilino

It would be a good thing to have for mounting a second grindstone such as the SJ. Many of us might have an extra support bar left over from an upgrade. We already have the jigs so we'd be ready to go, presuming it's in good shape. I would want to kick the tires before buying, something you can't do in an online auction!
Origin: Big Bang

Ken S

I agree. I think an older Tormek would work well with a second grindstone like the SJ. I suspect many long time Tormekers have an extra universal support or two laying around. There is certainly no need for duplicate jigs or truing tool.

When you add up the hundred, plus or minus thirty for shipping, thirty for a replacement water trough, and thirty for the horizontal sleeves, we are getting into the territory where we should be able to find a complete and/or newer unit. I generally find most of the used Tormek market pverpriced when compared to the cost of a new Tormek.

Like you, I like to kick the tires.

I write these occasional posts because I hate to see an unsuspecting new buyer start out  with a bad taste in the mouth from feeling like he overpaid.

Ken

Herman Trivilino

Oh, yeah. I forgot about the missing water trough. Maybe a person also had an older one of those lying around from an upgrade? And as for the horizontal support, well, maybe get by without it. I don't use mine very much and certainly wouldn't need it on a secondary machine.

The upshot of all this, and I've said it before, buying a used Tormek is probably not a good idea unless you're already an experienced Tormek user. There are just too many variables to consider, and you have no way of knowing how relevant each of them is until you've acquired some experience.

You make a good point about the price, Ken. Often for just a little bit more you can get a new Tormek once you figure in the cost of getting that used machine up to speed.
Origin: Big Bang

SharpenADullWitt

I don't even really look at that stuff on their anymore, since getting my second one from a retiring member.  But that old of machine, does look like some that people tried to sell locally, via CL then Ebayed (one in the Town JF had his first shop in, still with the receipt that showed it).
For a note, I would be tempted since no water tray is needed, if I had or was getting a diamond wheel.

Then again, couldn't this whole thread just be considered advertising for them?
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Ken S

Good point, SADW.

I have purchased, and continue to do so from the same retired member. In fact, he is my favorite dealer and I would have complete confidence in any used product from him.

I would be attracted to an early Tormek with a receipt from Jeff's original store. The attraction would be historical and sentimental.

I did not intend the main purpose of this topic to be an advertisement. Yes, it does that, however, my intention was to help perspective new buyers be aware of the total cost.

And, yes, not having a water trough would not be adisadvantage for someone who wanted to use a CBN wheel dry. CBN wheels can be used either wet or dry. Dry is convenient, although my preference is wet. Heat is not a critical issue, but dust is still dust.

Ken