News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

teacher or DVD

Started by Ken S, August 17, 2016, 11:43:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

We have discussed the relative merits of a teacher or a DVD in learning how to use a Tormek.

I recently had more time than usual near my computer. I watched two favorite DVDs again: The Woodturner's Instruction Box (TNT-300 by Tormek), and Sharpening School by Steve Bottorff (sharpeningmadeeasy.com). I never had the opportunity to study with Jeff Farris who made the DVD for Tormek. The DVD is outstanding. It cleverly combines sharpening turning tools on the Tormek with well done sections on using the individual tools.

I have had the the pleasure of studying personally with Steve Bottorff. As such, I can state that the DVD provides almost the same experience as one of Steve's classes. The interesting conversation walking to and from lunch is missing, however, the training is there and very well done. As Steve recently retired from teaching, the DVD offers a rare opportunity to study with a master.

As to whether a classroom situation with a teacher or a DVD is preferable, I have mixed feelings. I do not find a DVD a real substitute for being face to face with a fine teacher. However, I have been fortunate enough to study with several masters in photography and woodworking classes, and wished I had more than my notes. In my opinion, the best of both worlds is to study with a master in person and be able to refresh your memory with a well done DVD.

I recommend both of these DVDs very highly.

Ken

SharpenADullWitt

Ideally, both.
Having now seen the DVD a couple of times, having it does give one the ability to go back, review/pick up things they might have missed (similar to JF old video's, there is a lot there that one won't realize right away).

While the teacher provides one the ability to ask questions (thankfully we have the forum for), but the teacher advantage is real world, first person feedback, while observing the student.
Practice, practice, practice, is a good thing, but someone catching a bad habit, early, is the only better part of real world teaching, that I expect to miss. (rather then realizing and unlearning that habit) 
Thank you Steve for producing the class in a box.
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Ken S

You make a very good point. We have a most unfortunate attitude in this country that a mediocre teacher is probably "good enough for a beginner". This is completely wrong! It is much more difficult to unlearn bad habits than to learn good habits. Beginners should have the best teachers!

Ken