News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

removing the T8 water trough

Started by Ken S, August 31, 2016, 05:02:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

I really like the redesigned water trough on the T8. I have found removing it requires a different technique han removing other water troughs. The trough is held in place by two projecting rods near the bottom. The way to remove the tray is to hold both sides, thumbs up, and gently pull the bottom of the trough away from the body. The motion is a gentle pivoting away by the bottom, not lifting. Once you learn this trick, removal is smooth and easy.

As with all Tormek water troughs, the trough should be removed before placing or removing the grinding wheel.

I recommend first removing most of the water with (SADW's idea) a turkey baster.

Ken

SharpenADullWitt

Since I bought my Turkey baster for a quarter, I have found now, I am using it to pull clean water, back out of the dump water jug.  The sediment settles between my uses and hasn't been drawn up (not forcing the baster to the bottom of the jug).
My father sent me a note yesterday, that one of his carver/woodworker buddies, adding a compressor tank drain to his water tray, to let the water out when up high.  (think the average age of these guys, is close to 80)
That made me think if I had a damaged water tray, I might see about drilling it to stop a crack and put the drain there.
I wish I could see the inside of a T-8.  I picture some kind of scissor lift mechanism that could probably be made to lift the older ones, similar to the new one.  (in reality though, I think the baster idea, kind of removed the need, at least for me)
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

WolfY

Quote from: SharpenADullWitt on September 01, 2016, 05:31:39 AMI picture some kind of scissor lift mechanism that could probably be made to lift the older ones, similar to the new one.

:) No scissors mechanism on T-8. To take a picture you have to open some screws and take apart the blue plastic cover.
Not today ;)
Giving an advice is easy.
Accepting an advice is good.
Knowing which advice is worth adopting and which not, is a virtue.

Ken S

I see the turkey baster primarily as a means to reduce (hopefully eliminate) water spillage. I would not recommend it as a substitute for cleaning the water trough; in fact, using the turkey baster should made cleaning the water trough.

I consider a turkey baster essential, just like the kenjig.  :)

Ken

SharpenADullWitt

Bad explanation on my part then.  I didn't mean it, in place of cleaning.  What it did for me, was allow me to reuse, clean water (not new), while the particles have gone to the bottom (don't create a current to dredge them back up).
This works in several ways.  I can pull water out of the trough, and throw less of it away with the grit, and as my father saves the water for use outside (perennials), I was using it to reuse the water out of the dump bottle, rather then opening a new distilled water bottle, he uses for a multitude of things.

I realize the T-8 isn't a scissor (push) lift, but a pull lift.  I just have it in my brain, that someone could look at a Harbor Freight lift table, or car lift, and make something that would sit under the water tray on old models and perform a similar function.
I figure at some point in time, I will be able to see the mechanism in the parts diagram, when Advanced machinery has it up. (wondering what their time frame is)
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Ken S

Good water conservation thoughts, especially for the many workshops without running water. Good reuse of "gray water".

The older water troughs could easily be modified by removing the clips at the top and making a supporting block to lift the trough to working height. Removing the support block would allow the trough to be lowered. Gluing a thin extension platform onto the trough would help keep it from tipping. The support block should also be wide enough to support the extra width.

Yes, this means modifying the water trough. If you decide you don't like the new version, a replacement AWD trough is only about thirty dollars.

Personally, As much as I like the new lifting water trough, I think the turkey baster is a greater step forward. I also think the tighter machining tolerance with the zinc top will prove more significant in the long run.

Ken