News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

How do you lock the adjustable stop knob on the SVM 45?

Started by djoe, May 19, 2016, 07:31:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djoe

I just got a new SMV 45 and do not see a way to lock the adjustable stop knob from turning as shown in the video. What am I missing?

Jan

Welcome to the forum, Joe alias djoedunn. The earlier version of the knife jig had a locking screw while the current version is self-locking.  :)

Jan

djoe

Mine doesn't lock at all. It turns with the pressure of my thumb as I move it across the guide. I must be doing something wrong

Jan

Check if there is a rubber O-ring on the shaft of the jig. Just this O-ring provides the self-locking feature of the adjustable stop. The O-ring should not be greasy.

http://tormek.com/international/en/grinding-jigs/svm-45-knife-jig/

Jan

Herman Trivilino

Quote from: djoe on May 19, 2016, 08:55:12 PM
Mine doesn't lock at all. It turns with the pressure of my thumb as I move it across the guide. I must be doing something wrong

Others have reported the same problem with this jig. The locking screw on the older design strips (that's the case with the one I have). Plus, that design predated the micro adjust feature on the universal support, so back then the only way to fine tune the angle was by adjusting the jig. Now that's no longer the case. I pretty much never adjust that jig anymore, I just make the adjustment on the universal support.

I'm not sure what the solution is to your problem, but it seems you shouldn't need to modify a new jig to get it to function as advertised.
Origin: Big Bang

Hatchcanyon

Recently I got the SVM 45.

The adjustable stop works fine, no tendency for unintentional shift.

Rolf
German with a second home in the American Southwestern Desert - loves Old England too.

wootz

djoe, what you described happens when the stop is unscrewed too far past the 'zero' mark, where it leaves the tail thread and is hold in place only by the O-ring. The rubber O-ring is there to stiffen the screwing.

Tormek abandoned locking for a reason, I had a chance to try both, and the present design is easier to handle.

Ken S

My new version of the SVM-45 has not arrived, so this is somewhat guesswork. The usable adjustment range of the jig is about 25mm. Start with the jig set about  halfway out. (12mm). Use the adjustment of the universal support for the rough adjustment, reserving the jig adjustment for very small final adjustment.

Ken

Hatchcanyon

The usable adjustment range of the SVM 45 we got is about 17-18 mm.

Turning the adjustment knob further up than about 3 mm above the point where the zero marking is completely visible leads to unscrewing the treads and a loose knob no longer secured.

Rolf
German with a second home in the American Southwestern Desert - loves Old England too.

Ken S

I was relying on memory rather than measuring again with the 25mm figure. (Sorry, that was very sloppy procedure.)

The procedure remains the same. Begin with the jig adjustment in the middle of the range. Use the jig adjustment for only minor final adjustments. Do the major adjustments with the universal support and initial fine tuning with the microadjust. This is mentioned on page 54 of the latest handbook (in the SVM-45 knife jig description).

Ken