News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

regarding Tormek kits

Started by Ken S, February 26, 2016, 01:53:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

Many new Tormek owners start with one or more of the kits. These offer "ready to go" selections of jigs and accessories at a modest discount.

With recent upgrades of two jigs, it  is important to make sure the  kit includes the latest version of the jigs. You can find my recent review of the new SVD-186 Gouge Jig on the forum. I consider it a substantial improvement over the previous SVD-185. One of the several improvements is the change from aluminum to zink.

I do not have an SVS-38' the new short tool jig. Therefore, I cannot speak from first hand experience. However, the older SVS-32 was made of aluminum and the new jig is made of zink. The new jig also has a larger holding capacity.

I would not accept a new kit with ilder jigs. I would not accept an older kit at a discount. You will have your Tormek for a long time, why start out with obsolete new jigs? If the dealer cannot or will not provide you with a kit with the newest jigs, I would either wait until the old stock has been sold off or purchase i dividual jigs Purchasing individual jigs is not much more expensive than the kits.

Your Tormek is a long term investment in a premier quality sharpening system. The Tormek is not a static system. It continues to evolve with changes in technology. Do not handicap yourself by beginnng with older jigs.

Ken