News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Modified Tormek Tool Rest (MTTR)

Started by Fineline, February 14, 2015, 08:20:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

We should note one important difference between Herman's jig and those based on the Tormek platform: Herman started with the scissors jig. The scissors jig platform sits lower to the support bar. I think this is an inherent advantage. This allows a shorter separate platform.

I believe Ionut may have used the Tool Rest (SVD-110). like Fineline, I chose to build a jig starting with the SVD-110. My original idea was to use a separate secured platform. like Fineline, I was attracted to the idea of staying with a one piece modified Tormek jig instead of making a second part. So, I began with idea number two. When I posted the frustrating results, Jeff Farris made the suggestion which Fineline also used of removing only the platform part of the half. Both Fineline and Jeff are correct; that works much better. (The constraint is the knob which tightens the jig on the shaft.)

I believe using just the Tormek Tool rest modified has other problems. Cutting the jig down exposes non anodized surface. I suspect this is not really a problem, however, the thickness of the end of the platform and the grooves do seem like constraints with very small knives.

Eventually, I will probably return to making my own small knife jig. I have the Tormek SVM-00 Small Knife Holder, which is a useful jig in its own right. While the Small Knife Holder and the Herman Jig largely cross function, each has worthy strong points in different situations. (Example: For sharpening a machete, Herman's "small knife" jig wins every time.) As I have stated before, I believe a well equipped Tormek user should have both.

I believe there are more potential uses for the platform jig than we have yet uncovered. Two areas come to mind: sharpening metal lathe tool bits and left handed drill bits. These might require modified platforms. So, I am considering building a small knife platform which can be easily changed out with other platforms. Incidentally, I don't consider such a simple rig for sharpening drill bits, either left or right handed, to be anywhere near a match for the DBS-22 with its four facet capability. However, for the very occasional left handed bit, sharp would beat dull any day.

To Herman, Ionut, Fineline, and the other members, I say, keep up the good work and keep on being creative. Ten years ago, tormek users might not have imagined multiple stones or sharpening drill bits. I'm sure the early turners were delighted with Touch N Turn. We are not done evolving yet!

Ken

Herman Trivilino

In my experience 10 degrees is about as low as I ever need to go. At that angle the jig you made places the cutting edge on the far side of the grindstone, where it's harder to control. Plus, the platform doesn't extend far enough to reach the grindstone. Shrink the distance between the platform and the bore for the US and that brings the cutting edge closer to the operator. It also allows for a platform that doesn't need to extend as far.

The best way I've found to accomplish this is to modify the base of the Scissors Jig (SVX-150) rather than the Tool Rest (SVD-110).
Origin: Big Bang

Fineline

Quote from: Ken S on February 19, 2015, 05:30:32 PM

I believe using just the Tormek Tool rest modified has other problems. Cutting the jig down exposes non anodized surface. I suspect this is not really a problem, however, the thickness of the end of the platform and the grooves do seem like constraints with very small knives.

Eventually, I will probably return to making my own small knife jig. I have the Tormek SVM-00 Small Knife Holder, which is a useful jig in its own right. While the Small Knife Holder and the Herman Jig largely cross function, each has worthy strong points in different situations. (Example: For sharpening a machete, Herman's "small knife" jig wins every time.) As I have stated before, I believe a well equipped Tormek user should have both.
Ken

Yes, Ken, the MTTR does not seem like it will work well with pen knives as the blade width is very narrow 0.25in for a 1.3 inch blade. The tip of the platform has to be ground thinner which I am not prepared to do so at the moment. I also doubt if making the edge thinner is sufficient to support a narrow .25in blade. The MTTR seems ok with the cleaver.
The problem I have with the Tormek small knife jig is that I have to flip the knife in the holder if the blade is not in the middle of the stack of blades; like the swiss army knife for example. Flipping will likely create uneven bevel angles in this situation.
I hope you or someone else comes up with a solution to handle 1.3 inch, narrow (.25 in) swiss army knife.

Fineline

Quote from: Herman Trivilino on February 19, 2015, 06:58:28 PM
The best way I've found to accomplish this is to modify the base of the Scissors Jig (SVX-150) rather than the Tool Rest (SVD-110).

I actually wanted to cut the scissors jig platform to be like the MTTR but it could not be done as there is no separation between platform and the hollow tube. Without a separation (or stem), the cut would make it structurally weak and I know for sure given the tools I have, I am not able to make the cut.

Herman Trivilino

Quote from: Fineline on February 20, 2015, 03:13:36 PM
Yes, Ken, the MTTR does not seem like it will work well with pen knives as the blade width is very narrow 0.25in for a 1.3 inch blade. The tip of the platform has to be ground thinner which I am not prepared to do so at the moment. I also doubt if making the edge thinner is sufficient to support a narrow .25in blade.

If you thin the edge with the proper profile (I match the curve of a 10-inch grindstone at a bevel angle of 10o) you won't have an issue with it being rigid enough.

The two issues you will have, though, is that at that angle, or any angle up to about 20o or so, the platform won't get close enough to the grindstone. Plus, the place where the cutting edge meets the grindstone will be quite far away from the operator.

These are not issues with a cleaver because it's wide and it's ground to a blunt bevel angle of more than 20o.
Origin: Big Bang

Fineline

Thanks Herman.
Yes, I might try thinning it down one day should I find the need for it.
At the moment, it works fine for the cleaver which is my primary target.
FL