News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Square Edge Jig setup

Started by Dakotapix, February 18, 2015, 08:49:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dakotapix

A few months back in this forum Ken S mentioned having seen the instructional video about the SV-76 Square Edge Jig on Tormek's home page. The video shows the user setting the jig for the tool's thickness at the left side, then sliding it over to the right hand side to tighten the tool. I've been trying to use that technique but somehow I can't resist tightening the left knob a bit more. So...my question is...for those of you who use this technique, do you tighten only the right hand knob as shown in this video? If you haven't yet seen this video, you can access it in the SV- 76 instructions.

mike40

I only tighten the right knob after getting the initial thickness with the left knob. I also closely inspect to insure that the edge of the shaft or blade is 100% against the the right edge of the the jig on both sides (top and bottom on the right side). When I first started using this jig I got some out of square edges because the blade wasn't against the edge on both the top and the bottom. It doesn't have to be out much to make a problem.
Mike

Ken S

Excellent question, Dakotapix. Well done response, Mike. What struck me with the SE-76 video was that I had not seen the technique elsewhere. The handbook does not mention it. Jeff's videos are of a vintage which uses the original jig.

The idea seems logical to me. By initially loosely tightening the left knob (the one farther from the support edge) we avoid the situation of unbalanced tightening. I'm not sure how much of a problem that really is, however, it is easily avoided.

I am curious to know if this is taught by Tormek in its classes. Perhaps Stig will post.

I consider this video very well done from a marketing perspective. Perhaps that is its purpose.  From a training standpoint, I find it on the lean side. It leaves me with as many questions as answers. I would have liked some more explanation about the tightening procedure. The use of the anglemaster did not mention the importance of having the lower edge of the blade touching the grinding wheel. The bevel marking part could have started with the setting being slightly off and then showing how to correct it. The razor sharp edge had a lot of scratches, like it had to be produced within a tight time frame. I would have used the square to check the squareness of the chisel with the jig. As shown it checks the squareness of the edge with the chisel. That's important, too, but the chisel should first be square with the jig.

In prior posts, I have advocated the need for more training videos. I would not put a real training video in with the marketing videos. Today's marketing seems to be based to some extent on sound bites. That's fine; it is the way the world of business operates. However, for the Tormek user who wants sharp square edges, I think a more in depth film, such as the series Jeff Farris did several years ago, is also needed.

Dakotapix, give in to your tendency to snug the left knob after tightening the right one.

Mike is quite correct in  carefully checking the set up for squareness. The jig is well designed, however, a careful operator helps, also.

Ken

Herman Trivilino

Quote from: Dakotapix on February 18, 2015, 08:49:46 PM
So...my question is...for those of you who use this technique, do you tighten only the right hand knob as shown in this video?

Like you, I make sure both knobs are tight. As long as you don't over-tighten one of them to the point that the tool is sitting crooked in the jig you're ok.

I think way too much has been made of this issue in an effort to address the not-square-end complaint. It takes practice and technique to get a square end on a chisel or plane iron. Having the tool mounted in the jig properly is certainly necessary, but unfortunately it's not sufficient to getting a square end. This and the lack of aggressiveness necessary to reshape tools are probably the two largest shortcomings of the Tormek.

Note that this is not a complaint. Every tool has its shortcomings. They are offset by its utility.
Origin: Big Bang

Dakotapix

I'll be working on an old coffin smoother iron today and will not mess with the left knob after adjusting it for tool thickness. See how it goes. I do keep a couple small machinist squares handy and regularly check the angle squareness. I generally just shape these tools on the Tormek to establish the hollow grind and finish on conventional stones. Currently trying oil stones.