News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

free hand grinding

Started by thats sharp, January 08, 2015, 05:22:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thats sharp

Occasionally, I find myself in situations where I need to grind knives freehand. This is especially true when I have switched to a new wheel and am sharpening wide blade knives ie. cleavers, pizza knives or conversely when using a smaller diameter wheel to sharpen very thin filet knives etc.  I try to freehand by watching the water coming off the blade but again the results are mixed.
Does anyone have a particular method that works for them? I would like to establish a more consistent approach.
Thanks

Ken S

Welcome to the forum, Mike. Today is my day for lunch makingduty, siI mustbe brief. Look down the page of topics. Iposted some thoughts which may apply. Does your old wheel have enough useful life to work with cleavers?

Ken

thats sharp

Thanks for the reply Ken. Most of the time this is not a problem. Since most of my sharpening services are portable I often don't have the option of having another stone available. I was just hoping someone had some successful visual tips on how to achieve that 17-20 degree angle.
I did like the paper wheel tip and may draw that up on my stones...
Again thanks for your help 

Herman Trivilino

Origin: Big Bang