News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Help Needed

Started by paulkane1, September 06, 2014, 01:23:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulkane1

Hello ,I have just joined this forum,but I need some advise and help.to make a final decision as wether to buy the Tormek T7 system.I have only been woodturning a lot of months,I what to gain knowledge on how best to sharpen my tools, Is it true that Tormek is slow at grinding your profiles?if so,is it possible to set up a sharpening station,with a high speed grinder with a good grinding wheel attached,but with Tormek attachments , and jigs,so as to give you the perfect angle while you are grinding your profile,then switch it over to your Tormek T7 for your final sharpening? Could someone kindly forward to me as to how you would set up such a sharpening station?ie, some photos,and information. Or is it possible to use some of the Japenese Waterstones,on your T7 for grinding your profile quickly, then switch to your tormek stone for a final edge on your woodturning tools? I have a CBN wheel on a high speed grinder with jigs similar to Vari Grind set up,for my angles,but I am very interested in Tormek,although it is expensive. Yours Kindly Paul from Ireland.

Herman Trivilino

Hi Paul. Welcome to the forum. The Japanese Waterstone is for fine grinding only.

Here's a description and video of what you're looking for ...

http://tormek.com/international/en/accessories/other-accessories/bgm-100-bench-grinder-mounting-set/
Origin: Big Bang

paulkane1

A dream come true, you are a gentleman,at a quick glance ,looks like all the info I need is there.Now only too buy the various jigs and bench fittings,and give it a go.Do you use this set up yourself?if so,what type of grinding wheel do you use?

Yours Kindly Paul

Ken S

Welcome to the forum, Paul. I believe the first thing you need is knowledge.  I would recommend you purchase the Woodturner's Information Kit.  Here is the link:

http://tormek.com/international/en/accessories/other-accessories/tnt-300-woodturners-instruction-box/

In the US, it costs around $35.  I purchased it before acquiring any turning jigs. I wanted to learn what the Tormek jigs can do for turning tools.  If you end up purchasing the kit with all the turning jigs, you will end up with an extra information kit.  I don't consider this a waste of money. You would be making an informed purchase.

My other recommendation for you would be to watch the video with Glenn Lucas, the Irish turner and teacher featured on the Tormek website.  If you click on the picture of the woman ice carver, the series of short videos will appear.  All are well worth watching.  Since you live in Ireland, attending one of the workshops featured would be invaluable.  You would have the  unusual opportunity to work with an expert teacher.  I would recommend doing this before buying more tools, including the Tormek.  Knowledge really is power.

I was fortunate enough to study with Ernie Conover, an outstanding US instructor. Hands on learning with a fine teacher would give you such an advantage.  I don't know anything personally about Glenn Lucas, however, the video of him on the Tormek site and his own website seem impressive.  Group classes are an excellent and cost effective way to learn and enjoy the fellowship of fellow turners.  If you can afford it, a day of private instruction should put you leagues ahead in your learning, and can probably be scheduled at convenient times for you. here is the link to Glenn lucas' website:

http://glennlucaswoodturning.com/product-category/classes/

Keep us posted.

Ken

Herman Trivilino

Quote from: paulkane1 on September 06, 2014, 07:43:54 AM
Do you use this set up yourself?if so,what type of grinding wheel do you use?

No, I don't. I'm not a turner. On the Tormek I use the original grindstone (SG-250). You could try the SB-250 as it will remove material faster.

On the dry grinder I use the gray wheels that came with, but others have reported better results with the white aluminum oxide wheels.

There's a lot of good information relevant to your issue in this thread, but it's mixed in with the main issue. Pay particular attention to Reply #22. http://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=2067.0

Origin: Big Bang