News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Bench Height

Started by Herman Trivilino, May 23, 2014, 05:14:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Herman Trivilino

For years now my table saw has done double-duty as the bench top for my Tormek, at a height of 1020 mm (40").

I had to rearrange some things and ended up having to build a new bench for the Tormek.  I decided on the maximum height for the new TS--740 Sharpening Station of 830 mm (32 2/3").

That's a huge drop in height, about 20%.  I can't wait to find something with a dull edge so I can try it out.   :D
Origin: Big Bang

tonylumps

Herman .Here is a real nice table If you have a Costco near you they have them on sale with adjustable legs 30-34"for $49.00
http://www.amazon.com/Keter-17182239-Folding-Work-Table/dp/B001CWX26Y/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1400881423&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=keder+work+table

Herman Trivilino

That's a nice work table, Tony, but I have no place to ut it!  I guess I could take down the table I just built, but I don't want to do that for a couple reasons.  One, I just built it, and two, I have my air compressor set up underneath it.

Herman Trivilino

I spent some time working at the new height.  I had to true the grindstone, and then I sharpened a couple of old dull chisels that I save for just such a circumstance.  Did a paring knife, too.

I have to say that working at this lower height is much better.  I have more control and it's easier to apply more force, especially when grading the grindstone.

The basics of working at the right height and having good lighting really do make the Tormek a much better tool.

Ken S

Clever idea, Herman, combining the Tormek and compressor in the same space.  I believe you are correct about the lower table height being more practical.

I measured my table height today.  It's 35 inches.  My table is a combination of a child's wooden table top (left for trash by the last occupants of an apartment where I lived in 1972) and some misc. pieces of 2x4 for legs and supports.  The top has numerous bolt holes from being "multi purpose" over the decades.  In spite of all of this, it works reasonably well.

I keep most of the accessories in an ancient metal kitchen cabinet which has hung in many houses over the years. 

One of the new Tormek chests would look quite nice, and work very well.  However, if I decide to invest that much more in Tormek, I would probably purchase a second machine and leave it set up with either the SB or SG wheel.

I totally agree with your point about the importance of good light.

I trust your new table serves you well for many years.

Ken

Herman Trivilino

Quote from: Ken S on June 08, 2014, 04:29:29 AM
One of the new Tormek chests would look quite nice, and work very well.  However, if I decide to invest that much more in Tormek, I would probably purchase a second machine and leave it set up with either the SB or SG wheel.

I would update my truing tool and square edge jig as I still use the older versions.  Then I'd get the Drill Bit Sharpening Attachment, the Profiled Leather Honing Wheel, the Axe Jig, the Japanese Waterstone, the Rotating Base, and the Machine Cover.

Rob

When you win the lottery you mean :-)
Best.    Rob.

Herman Trivilino

Quote from: Herman Trivilino on June 08, 2014, 07:18:52 AM
I would update my truing tool and square edge jig as I still use the older versions.  Then I'd get the Drill Bit Sharpening Attachment, the Profiled Leather Honing Wheel, the Axe Jig, the Japanese Waterstone, the Rotating Base, and the Machine Cover.

I forgot to add the Tool Rest, Bench Grinder Mount, Dursol Metal Polish, and the Advanced Water Trough.

That adds up to about $1056.  The Tormek Sharpening Station is $787.

And yes, Rob, we're talking about winning the lottery here.  And in my case that would be really hard to do since I never buy a ticket!

Rob

Best.    Rob.

jeffs55

Quote from: Herman Trivilino on June 08, 2014, 06:36:23 PM
Quote from: Herman Trivilino on June 08, 2014, 07:18:52 AM

I forgot to add the Tool Rest, Bench Grinder Mount, Dursol Metal Polish, and the Advanced Water Trough.

That adds up to about $1056.  The Tormek Sharpening Station is $787.

And yes, Rob, we're talking about winning the lottery here.  And in my case that would be really hard to do since I never buy a ticket!
You mean that you have to buy a ticket to play????????????? NO wonder I never win.
You can use less of more but you cannot make more of less.