News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Sound of the machine

Started by violaine, March 11, 2014, 10:08:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

violaine

In the thread "new bloke with supergrind 2000", I spoke of my Supergrind 2000, purchased used and is now working wonders.
Now I am a little curious as to the "normal" operating sound of the tool...I looked up the threads and found no title about the "sound" of a running Tormek machine.

Mine is emitting a mild screeching sound while running. (is this normal?)....do I need to lubricate and where? (I think I should google the parts diagram of the machine so I will know.)

I wish someone can post a video (via you tube) for me to compare.

thanks in advance
Sharp blades almost always leave a beautiful scar.

violaine

right after my posting, I went to see a you tube video of Jeff..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYURcwkKGPs

now that thing is running soooo silently compared to mine..

please help! I hope to be able to post a video of the thing running so you can hear the sound.

like I said, mine was purchased used and stored in a dungeon I guess...rain or shine...damp or dry...(Philippine weather..LOL)

Herman Trivilino

The main shaft rides on two nylon bearings mounted in the housing.  Remove the main shaft and lubricate the bearings.

http://sharptoolsusa.com/parts.finder.php?target=parts&parent=9

The main shaft is labelled "10" on the diagram.

Be careful removing the grindstone.  There was a lot of rust and I broke mine removing it.

You can read about it here ...

http://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=929.msg2133#msg2133

Origin: Big Bang

violaine

thanks Herman for chiming in...

in fact I have removed the main shafting and you are correct that the thing is surrounded by rubber/plastic bushings...there is no problem with this and it is silently moving around.

the noise is emanating from the motor housing itself in the spindle, I mean from the armature..so what I did was  to remove the motor partly by hammering the locking spindle with a spring but could not remove it altogether...I was able to remove the fan housing and a dried cockroach carcass was the only thing that I saw..now noise comes out when I manually move the fan motor..perhaps the bearings?
when I turn the bearings, the one on the leather strop end is "relatively" loose but is moving without any flutter..now, I believe there is another bearing at the opposite at the fan end and this is where I stopped from tinkering.

I am afraid I sprayed a little of DW40 on the bearing located on the leather strop end...I hope I can post the video soon via youtube.

btw, I returned everything in its place and hoping with the noise, there is no harm if I continue to operate it.