News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Hello and some questions.

Started by splinters, October 25, 2013, 06:01:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

splinters

Hi there everyone. I'm a bamboo rodmaker hobbiest who always sharpened with waterstones. Yesterday at a local auction house I saw this Supergrind 1200 and left a cheeky bid. Picked it up today for £28.75 including fees. I know quite a lot is missing, water bath etc. but the machine runs quietly and there is almost no evidence of use. The wheel is 200 mm and I can't see any sign of abuse. The honing wheel has seen some usage and I think this may be all the machine has been used for. The white mark on the wheel is bird droppings and the line is pencil.

I will be sharpening plane blades and occasional chisels. By my reckoning I will need to buy a bath, stone grader, anglemaster, truing tool, and some homing compound to get started.
Have I left anything out?

Regards to all,

Simon.

Herman Trivilino

That's an awesome deal!  I think your list of required accessories is complete.  You may want to consider adding the scissors jig.  A little modification and it can be used for knives, too.
Origin: Big Bang

jeffs55

You need the bath and the grader now. The anglemaster is not vital as you can eyeball the angle that you want on an object. You use the anglemaster to see what angle it is that you are working with. You do not need it to set an angle already on an edge. The honing compound is also useful but the bare leather is going to work but not as well. I believe this is the Tormek that is designed to be used for no more than 30 minutes at a time so do not overdo it. Use 30 minutes and rest 30 minutes is the prescribed usage, I think.
You can use less of more but you cannot make more of less.

splinters

Thanks guys, it's nice to know that I don't need to buy everything at once.
The pension doesn't go very far these days.
I'll get the bath and grader now and order the rest as and when.
regards,
Simon.

Herman Trivilino

In my opinion the leather wheel is useless without the honing compound.

Also, the truing tool is a necessity.  You can no longer get the benefits of the precision of the Tormek system when the grindstone is out of round.  And a grindstone that's out of round will quickly get worse as you use it.

splinters

Thanks everyone, I've ordered the bath, grader, honing compound and truing tool. Looking forward to getting started.
Regards,
S.

Herman Trivilino

Please keep us posted.  There's always a lot to learn.