News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Tormek supergrind SG 250 wetstone

Started by Neale Jones, October 21, 2013, 01:01:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neale Jones

I have been using Tormek wetstone wheels for many years and have recently bought a new SG250 delivered from Axminster tools / Brimarc and I am not satisfied that the quality is as good as the previous stone wheels that had Made in Sweden printed on the label attached to the stone wheel. I met the brimarc salesmen at D&m tool sale at Kempton Park and he assured me that the MANUFACTURING BASE has NEVER CHANGED although he did not mention that the SG 250 stone wheels are MADE IN SWEDEN . I explained that the SG 250 stone I recently purchased was a harder make-up and does not peform as well as the older ones as after using the single point diamond dresser on the new SG 250 wheel the grooving takes a lot longer to reduce to a flat true surface than my Original SG 200 stone wheels with Made in Sweden printed on the label, however he was only interested in selling and told me to e-mail brimarc i.e. he was not interested in after sales / customer service. I have entered the SHIBANG machinery website based in CHINA andasked about the TOrmek SG250 wetstone wheel and they said Yes The Tormek SG 250 is Made in China. This casts doubt as to the statement from Tormek that the machines and components are all designed, engineered and Made in Sweden?

thecabinetguy

Hi.

I have experience with both axminster and Brimarc and can tell you their support is not very good at all and sales, they just don't care. there's no flexibility for discount. My dealer near me is amazing and I couldn't be without them. my T7 was a last in stock for an amazing price with the HTK705 and this really has saved my working life.

I observed one thing straight off when using my machine. after testing with one bevel chisel, I needed to resurface the sg250 as it was running out of true. it took about 10 mins in slow passes but works fine now. I have to admit that the pricing of both stones and replacement honing wheels is a little mad but for this machine it's worth it. I wouldn't worry too much about stones and where they're made. from my experience between wet stones and grinding stones, I've gone to different manufacturers in my time and noticed differences, but as long as the stones are looked after well, youshould be alright. If you're concerned, contact Tormek sweden directly and express your concerns explaining your issues with Brimarc who are now taken over by axminster. the whole brimarc-axminster thing has shifted to a new level. now axminster are selling other stuff and that alarms me to be honest. Anyway, I hope you get somewhere with this.

off ti the workshop to set up a batch of new chisels.

lew