News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

How did I do?

Started by refugio, August 22, 2013, 06:08:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

Don't worry, Herman.  Your secret is safe with me.  By the way, I'm not a real midwesterner, either.  Born and raised in New Jersey.  We were neighbors, sort of.

Ken

refugio

Quote from: Ken S on August 27, 2013, 12:22:39 PM
If you do decide to order another bar, I would suggest also ordering an extra micro adjust nut
Makes sense - as would using a second nut (ideally a thin, or "jam" nut - http://www.boltscience.com/pages/twonuts.htm) with Herman's approach

Ken S

The reason I chose to order the second nut form sharptoolsusa is that the thread on the universal support bar is not a standard thread.  It is something like an Acme thread, with a flat surface for the holding knob.  I don't know if a standard nut would work or not.  I do know that the Tormek micro adjust nut works well.  The second micro adjust feature is not needed, but does no harm.

Ken

John T

I'm new to this but I'll give it a try:  First off, I don't believe your machine is a 2004, I believe its a 2000 because I have one just like it.  I believe in 2004 Tormek took off the 90 degree corners.  Good machine though, mine still works well.  I grease the bushings periodically with Lithium grease. Lithium grease keeps water and dirt out.

To catch the iron filings I taped 3 rare earth magnets on the outside of the water trough.  When I clean out the trough, I just wipe off the filings.  Geoff Brown from England noticed this and now the new T-7 has the rare earth magnets are in bedded in the plastic molding.

Rather than purchasing the new turntable you can make your own using a 10" lazy-suzan between 2 boards.  The top board has 2 holes and the bottom has one, so you can turn the board 180 degrees and insert a stop into the top and bottom board.  I've used this method for years and have found it a lot lighter than trying to lift the machine.

When you start using the machine, don't get discouraged that the first sharpening seems to take long as you need to take a flat grind into a bevel grind.

Ken S

Good post, John.  Welcome to the forum.

From the bits and pieces I've heard about Geoff Brown, he seems like a Tormek legend.  I happened to replace my original water trough with the larger newer model.  It works well, but so did the older model.  It's amazing how much steel the magnet draws.  Electrical tape works fine.

My first Tormek was stolen.  When I replaced it, the new one came with the new turntable.  I like it.  However, the slickest idea I have read is to use an old cafeteria tray. It's easy to turn around, and it catches any water.

My original Tormek had the regular shaft, but in stainless steel.  You are absolutely right about the lithium grease.  Combined with dumping the water tray after use, rust shouldn't be a problem.  I confess the new EZYlock shaft is a spoiler.

I hope you will continue posting.

Ken

refugio

Quote from: John T on September 04, 2013, 01:46:18 AMFirst off, I don't believe your machine is a 2004, I believe its a 2000 because I have one just like it.
I'm pretty sure it's a 2004:

Quote from: John T on September 04, 2013, 01:46:18 AMI grease the bushings periodically with Lithium grease. Lithium grease keeps water and dirt out.
To catch the iron filings I taped 3 rare earth magnets on the outside of the water trough.
Great tips - thanks for those!