News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Tormek download manual

Started by mike40, July 20, 2013, 02:13:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike40

When I bought my Tormek here in Norway it came with a manual in Swedish. I can read and understand it, but I prefer the English version, which I downloaded. While scrolling through the pages I did something that produced many pages in a small format instead of just one or two pages at a time. This made it faster and simpler to get to the desired page. Unfortunately I have not been able to duplicate that format up again. Can anyone tell me what keystrokes are needed for this format? I am using a MAC with the OSX Lion operating system. :)
Mike

RobinW

I tried the handbook download function and it comes up in Safari as a pdf. The page size can be changed using CMD+ or CMD- to make bigger or smaller page.

If you save it to your desktop and then re-open it, the package used is Preview. At the top right hand corner of the Preview window, beside the >> marks is a small icon which if you click will toggle between showing the column of pages down the right hand side, or hides them.

Trust this is what you mean.

mike40

:)Thanks very much Robin, I really appreciate your help with this. It was a little different than you described, but it was your info that got me there. In preview, I chose 'View' then 'Thumbnails' then alt+cmd+ 4. The number after the plus sign denotes the number of columns you want. Four columns of thumbnails fill the page. This will make it a lot easier to get to the pages I want to read.
Mike

Ken S

Mike, I happen to be using my daughter's ipad while she is away this week. (I'm an imac user with snow leopard.)  The ipad has a "reading list" feature which allows the user to download the pdf and refer to it without having to reload it in the future.  I don't seem to have this with snow leopard, but you might with the newer lion.

Are most Norwegians also fluent in Swedish?

Ken

ps In the US there is a television marketing company called QVC.  While many of our citizens have a rather narrow "English only" attitude, QVC is clever enough to realize we have many citizens who are more comfortable in Spanish and who have money to spend.  QVC has Spanish speaking operators to process orders.

I am surprised that Tormek does not have its material available in Norwegian and Danish.

mike40

Hi Ken. Swedish and Danish are pretty similar in the written form, but not so much in the spoken form. I can understand a lot of the Swedish spoken language, but to us in Norway, Danes sound like they are talking with a mouth full of marbles. On the other hand, written Danish is much easier to understand than written Swedish. When I moved to Norway over 40 years ago I thought I could learn the language and be able to converse with everyone. Not a chance! I found out that there are many different dialects with quite a few distinctly difference words and pronunciations. Of course that has changed for me after living here so many years. Dialects vary often from district to district even though many are just a 20 minute drive apart. A few years after WWll, my wife's grandparents took her with them on a drive into one of the fjords a days drive away. They stopped at a local store to buy some food and they were treated very coldly by the proprietor. They found out that he thought they were German tourists! People here travel a lot nowadays, so that kind of thing doesn't happen anymore, but there are still many different dialects being spoken even in our local area.
Mike

Ken S

Interesting observations, Mike.  One of the unfortunate side effects of televisions is ha decline on our dialect differences.  Language is so mush more interesting with regional variations.  Too bad Tormek doesn't have both English and American version so that Rob and I would both be able to read the material in our native tongues :).

Ken

mike40

I agree Ken. When I was young I used to think how wonderful it would be if the world had a common language and culture. After years of traveling and working abroad I've come to appreciate the richness that diversity represents. It was quite an eye opener for me find out how much a nations past history and culture forms their citizens of today. In many respects this is changing as the world grows smaller. Sometimes for the better and sometimes for the worse. American culture differs from region to region, but it sure is a lot more homogenous than the Eurpean Union. The Scandinavian countries are  the same way. Big similarities, but also big differences between them. All to the better. I feel that diversity is the crucible of creativity.
Mike