News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Industrial use of the Tormek

Started by MakerUnknown, June 08, 2013, 09:25:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MakerUnknown

Came across this video of an axe making company that uses a Tormek as part of their manufacturing procedures.  Hopefully this hasn't been posted before.  Tormek usage begins at the 4:30ish mark
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNQbzQCByX4

Herman Trivilino

That's very informative.  I guess that would be called a felling ax?

It appears they're free-handing using only the Universal Support, no jig.  Interesting that the operator has the grindstone turning towards the edge yet away from him.  Also interesting that they're using the SG grindstone instead of the SB.

Origin: Big Bang

Mike Fairleigh

That's more of a "boy's axe" (which is the handiest size and probably the most useful, all-around).  Council is about the only US-made axe left that's worth the asking price.

Thanks for posting that.  I'm very surprised to see a Tormek used in a production environment (at least one that turns out as many tools as Council does).
Mike

"If I had 8 hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend 7 sharpening my axe."  --Abraham Lincoln

MakerUnknown

Mike,
I too, was somewhat taken back from seeing it used in a large production environment.  You would think in a factory that's been doing this for a long time they would have purpose built machines for the final sharpening/honing.

Rhino

never mind.  I misposted.