News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Wobbling grindstone

Started by Reelharder, May 30, 2013, 04:02:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reelharder

I need help!!! I have owned a Tomek for years and hardly ever use it because the stone wobbles so much. I replaced the plastic bearings, still wobbles. I bought a Japanese stone from Woodcraft, still wobbles. I bought just about every accessory made for this machine when I first bought it, so I have a huge investment that I can't just walk away from. Can someone help me with this?

Mike Fairleigh

Does the honing wheel also wobble?
Mike

"If I had 8 hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend 7 sharpening my axe."  --Abraham Lincoln

Herman Trivilino

If both the grindstone and the honing wheel wobble then it's likely that the main shaft is bent.  There's an upgrade kit that replaces it with the stainless steel main shaft and the EzyLok feature: http://tormek.com/international/en/spare-parts/shafts/msk-250-stainless-steel-shaft/
Origin: Big Bang

Jeff Farris

If the wobble is side to side, it is very unlikely that it will affect performance in any way. If it is up and down, you need to use the truing tool.

For side to side wobble, loosen the nut, turn the inside washer 1/4 turn and tighten it back up. Check it again. Repeat until you find the "sweet spot" of fit between the stone surface and the inside washer. But, as said first, side to side wobble has zero affect on performance.
Jeff Farris