News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Tormek Jig Model Numbers

Started by Herman Trivilino, March 22, 2013, 09:49:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Herman Trivilino

Does anyone know how to decipher the model numbers of the Tormek jigs?

For example,

SVM-45 Knife Jig,
SVX-150 Scissors Jig,
SVA-170 Axe Jig,
SVS-50 Multi Jig,
SVD-110 Tool Rest,
SE-76 Square Edge Jig (which I think replaced the now extinct SVH-60 Straight Edge Jig),
DBS-22 Drill Bit Sharpening Attachment.

It appears to have the format of  two or three letters, followed by a hyphen, followed by two or three numbers.

The first two letters are very often SV?  I don't have a guess for that, unless it translates to something in Swedish.
I would guess that in SVA the A is for axe.
And in DBS the DB is for drill bit.

Origin: Big Bang

Ken S

Herman,

The numbers are the jig length in millimeters.  DBS-22 will handle bits up to 22 millimeters (or 7/8" for us folks on the "English" system).  The 45 of the knife jig is the holding part is 45mm wide.  The SVD-110 is 110 millimeters wide (the factory ones, mine are different, now.)  I think the scissors jig table is 150mm wide.  Etc.

I don't know about the SV (Swedish? or referring to old Viking gods?)

Ken

Rob

Lets not forget the wsortq-fy 2013

That's the internal name for the new short knife jig

It stands for: we're short of revenue this quarter-fiscal year 2013

Or is that terribly cynical?
Best.    Rob.

Herman Trivilino

Quote from: Ken S on March 22, 2013, 10:28:54 PM
The numbers are the jig length in millimeters.

Ah ha .... Thanks, Ken.

QuoteI don't know about the SV (Swedish? or referring to old Viking gods?)

Sharp is "vass" so that could be what the V stands for, maybe Swedish Sharp?

Jeff, where are you?
Origin: Big Bang

Jeff Farris

The "SV" jigs were the original jigs and is an anagram of Swedish words related to that particular tool. Starting with the SE-76 they switched to English for the initials (Square Edge, Drill Bit Sharpener, Bench Grinder Mount, etc.). The numbers all relate to the primary measurement of the jig.
Jeff Farris