News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Grinding the jig instead of the knife

Started by nikolajhenriksen, March 28, 2013, 09:01:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nikolajhenriksen

Hi,

I've just bought the Tormek T-7 and the HTK-705 kit. I have sharpened regular chefknives, but when it comes to my filleting knives I run into problems. I am trying to get an 15 degree bevel on each side, but instead of grinding the knife I am grinding the jig. What am I doing wrong? I am very frustrated about this since I bought this expensive machine and kit to sharpen all kinds of knives!

The two filleting knives I am having trouble with are respectively 10mm and 15mm wide. My sharpening method is as following:
1. Clamp the knife to the SVM-150 jig. I am only clamping down onto 2mm of the blade, which leaves 8 and 13mm free. I am from Denmark, and we use the metric scale:)
2. Setting up the universal support in the vertical mount, so I can stand up and look down at the knife.
3. Setting the WM-200 anglemaster to 15 degrees.
4. Now I try to set the angle on the knife resting on the universal support, but I can't do it because the jig touches the grindstone before I get to 15 degrees. What to do?

I really hope to get this problem solved! :(

Best regards
Nikolaj

grepper

Hi Nikolaj-

That is a well known and understood issue, in fact is it the topic of very recent conversation, design and innovation.

I believe there are three options when  you run into that issue:

1.  Freehand sharpening.

2. The Tormek Small Knife Jig SVM-00.  Check out this thread:
http://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=1585.0

3.  The Homemade Knife Rest HK-50.  As far as I know, this was designed/developed by two long time forum members Ionut and Herman.  The thing that I like about it is that not only is it good for very thin blades, but also for pocket knives and machetes.  You can read all about it here:
http://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=1592.0
http://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=1560.0

Herman Trivilino

Hi Nikolaj,

Welcome to the forum.  If you do decide to sharpen those small filleting knives free hand make sure you have the grindstone turning away from the knife edge.

Origin: Big Bang

nikolajhenriksen

Thank you very much for your replies. I thought I would get an e-mail when users responded on the thread. This is the reason of lack of responsetime. Thank you for pointing that out Herman, though I had it in mind.

I could of course do it freehand, but I really want to be able to get a precise edge angel on the item. The SVM-00 looks like just the jig I need. Unfortunately I can't find it in any danish shops. I hope it will arrive some day, hopefully soon! :)

I will look into the homemade jigs, but I really wanted a jig like the SVM-00. I guess I just have to wait for it to arrive in danish shops. But until it gets here I'd might have to build myself something like the HK-50.

Elden

Nikolaj,

I don't believe that you will be sorry if you make the homemade jig. Try sharpening something that you don't mind messing up at first.  :) As you can can see from Herman's posts, a lovely job can be done after becoming acquainted with the process.
Elden

Herman Trivilino

You should be able to find the SVM-00 online.  It has only recently appeared here at websites in the US.  Not sure if it's available at walk-in stores yet.  It soon will be, though, unless it flops.

Ken S

I plan to travel back to my old area this weekend.  I hope to pick up one of the new jigs at my old local dealer if they have one in stock while I am there.  I'll post results.

The main advantage I quickly see of the Tormek jig is that it requires no workshop to fabricate it.  Functionwise, I think the forum jig can at least hold its own, and is the definite winner with machetes (probably not found in most high class restaurants).

Ken

nikolajhenriksen

Afther having read about the DIY jig I must say that it will probably be the way for me. Very nice work on that Herman and thank you for sharing your solution with the rest of us:)

Though I will definitely make the HK-50, I will be happy to hear about the new SV-00. I will be watching the forum Ken for your opinion on the jig.

A couple of questions for you Herman:
When you drilled the holes in the scissorjig support plate, did you thread the holes or is there a nut connected on the backside of the jig?

Is there anything to consider when doing the placement of the holes on the jig support plate? I will probably place them about one centimeter from the top.

Last questions:) Is there anything to consider when drilling the holes in the scissorjig support plate in regards to using it with the original scissorjig holder?

Again thank you for all the replies.

Herman Trivilino

Quote from: nikolajhenriksen on March 29, 2013, 07:59:15 AM
When you drilled the holes in the scissorjig support plate, did you thread the holes or is there a nut connected on the backside of the jig?  Is there anything to consider when doing the placement of the holes on the jig support plate? I will probably place them about one centimeter from the top.

The holes are threaded.  Mine are about a centimeter down from the top.  The platform is 5 cm wide, so you want the holes about 3 cm apart, one of them being 1 cm from the side of the jig closest to the machine.

QuoteLast questions:) Is there anything to consider when drilling the holes in the scissorjig support plate in regards to using it with the original scissorjig holder?

Nope.  The holes don't interfere with the operation of the scissors jig at all.

Ken S

Sorry, Nikolaj, my trip has been postponed for a month.  No "review" until then.

Ken

ps Welcome to the forum.