News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

convex scissors

Started by zeteo, March 09, 2005, 05:52:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zeteo

Can the Tormek be used to sharpen convex Japanese style scissors?

Jeff Farris

The convex bevel cannot be ground, but the inside hollow of the blade can be renewed with the grindstone polished to the fine cut and both the inside hollow and the convex bevel can be honed.  With a little practice, you can put those scissors back to new or better.
Jeff Farris

tempstor

sorry... but im not familiar with japanese scissors so i was wondering if this would include the type of beauty shears that have concaved inners and are convex on the outer portion. i sharpened my cousins "very expensive" beauty shears by hand on a flat japanese waterstone and produced a nice sharp edge but i am reading more and more that this is the incorrect way to sharpening those type of scissors as it will eventually grind the hollow portion away. if your answer is "yes", i am wondering how you would replace the hollow grind. would you place the shears on its side across the stone? definitely sounds like a freehand task. thanks  

Jeff Farris

That is exactly what I do.  I reform the hollow by freehanding the inside (mating) sides of the blades on the grindstone.  The stone must be very smooth and you need a steady hand and some nerves, since these scissors cost around 500 per pair, but I have had barbers and stylists tell me that my sharpening job on these scissors was better than new.
Jeff Farris