News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Motor slipping

Started by Ruthless4645, December 29, 2012, 08:23:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruthless4645

When ever I sharpen knives I have no problem, but when sharpening dull scissors sometimes the motor starts to slip causing the grinding wheel to stop turning, I don't think I'm exerting that much pressure. I suspect it's because of the very steep angle scissors have (60*) and removing so much material. Is this normal? is there something I'm doing wrong, or need to be doing, to stop this from happening?

P.S. This is a brand new T7, only 2 days old.

Mike Fairleigh

Take the honing wheel off and check the motor's drive shaft for debris buildup from the rubber drive wheel (it'll be obvious once you get the honing wheel off).  It's normal for rubber dust & debris to rub off from the rubber wheel onto the motor's shaft, and this might happen more on a brand-new machine.  Just clean the shaft, and it should be good.

By the way, I've found that one of these, held against the motor shaft while running, does a beautiful and fast job of cleaning it:

Mike

"If I had 8 hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend 7 sharpening my axe."  --Abraham Lincoln

Ken S

Great post, Mike.  I hadn't thought of using a sandflex "eraser" for this application.  I have three sandflex hand blocks (fine, medium, coarse).  I have had them for many years. They are my first line of defense against minor surface staining or rust. They are not expensive, and they last a very long time.  I would recommend them for every shop.  Buy all three.

Ken

Jeff Farris

Mike is right, but, use an abrasive on the tire, too, not just on the shaft. SandFlex blocks work like a charm, but so does just normal sandpaper -- around 80 - 100 grit.
Jeff Farris