News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Bench Grinder Truing Tool??

Started by kinshijei, May 24, 2012, 03:21:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kinshijei

I am new to the Tormek systems & I was wondering if there is a diamond truing tool for bench grinder users that are using the BGM-100?  Something like the TT-50 would be great!

Ken S

I have used this with good results.  It's inexpensive, and does the job well.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=55075&cat=1,43072,43080&ap=1

Ken

kinshijei

Thanks Ken,
My only question about a tool like that is, being that the tool is 36 grit & my wheel is 150 grit, will this lower the grit on my wheel?

Thanks

Kin Shijei

Ken S

I don't believe that would be a problem.  Before I bought one of these, I used a single point industrial diamond.  I find the strip easier to use, especially if the wheel is dressed with a crown instead of flat.

150 seems like a very fine grit to me.  My dry grinder doesn't get much use since I bought the Tormek.  (It may, if I have sharpening to do before I get to replace my stolen unit.)  I use an 80 grit white wheel and (the newer wheel) a 46 grit Norton X3. I really like the 46 grit wheel.  It grinds quickly and coolly.  The Tormek is much safer for things like chisels and plane blades.  When I had several decades of mushroomed head on a splitting wedge to remove, the X3 really shone.  not much danger of overheating that hunk of steel.

Ken

kinshijei

Jeff Farris

A normal stick diamond dresser, single point or cluster, will work fine on a grindstone. Grit of the stone will not be modified by dressing...other than to open up a glazed stone. The high rotation speed of the wheel makes a stop system such as Tormek uses unnecessary. Like Ken, I prefer a cluster tip over a single point. Packard Woodworks carries a nice one.
Jeff Farris

kinshijei

Thank you for the tips Ken & Jeff! I think I'll try the cluster dresser.

Kin