News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

New user from Utah

Started by gmcnut, May 02, 2012, 03:34:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gmcnut

Hi all,

I've just started to use my 2000 unit and I'm really enjoying it so far. In another part of my life I had a sharpening business which I ran out of my home and also spent about a year working for a local carbide cutter manufacture in Salt Lake City. So I feel right at home using the Tormek. Getting acquainted with the Tormek has been a pleasurable experience. I just ordered the HTK-705 hand took kit so I can sharpen all of our kitchen knives too.

I'd be interested in conversing with any of you that are using the Tormek in a sharpening business where you are charging for sharpening knives, scissors, shears, and etc.

Thanks,

Mark Elmer
"gmcnut"

Herman Trivilino

I don't know of anyone here who uses the Tormek for a sharpening business. 

There's a local sharpening service, and I use them for things like hand saws and carbide-tipped circular saw blades.  They charge so little for sharpening knives, scissors, and chisels, though, that I just don't see much profit in it.
Origin: Big Bang

Black Mamba

I use the Tormek machine in a sharpening business I own and operate. In my case, its use is limited to working on knives and household scissors. I make the distinction of " household " scissors for a good reason.

My principal business is the sharpening and repair of salon shears. To that end, I use a piece of equipment manufactured by Rapid Edge ( a neat little $20,000 toy ). The sharpening of these shears is very specialized and requires someone with a lot of knowledge and experience to do it properly. The Tormek machine is useless in this type of work. I have found, however, a niche in the market place where the Tormek equipment can be profitably employed.

Sitting in my doctor's office one day, I overheard a nurse complaining about all their scissors being dull. Before leaving, I spoke with her and looked at the type scissors she was referring to. They were all what I tend to call " household " scissors....definitely NOT the type scissor you would see in an operating room environment. I asked the nurse how many pair they had that needed attention. There were 17 pair. I said I would sharpen them for $7.00 bucks a pair. They were delighted that someone could help them out. I used some other water-cooled, slow-rotating grinders I have to do the job. Sensing, though, that this could be a nice side-line business, I recently acquired the Tormek machine because it can be quicker when doing a lot of pairs at one time.

I now solicit this doctor office business on a regular basis. I kept getting asked by office personnel if I also did knives. I now tell all the office staff to bring in their knives from home when I'm scheduled to be at their office. I charge $6.00 a knife. Between hitting a couple of big offices and doing all their scissors and the people's knives, a $400.00 to $500.00 day is not uncommon.

I started this business about 2 years after I retired....got bored silly sitting around the house. A man can play only so much golf and ride his motorcycle only so much before he realizes he has to get back into the mainstream before he goes crazy.